My Tractor Forum banner

JD 445 will not start - no spark

9K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  rocksoldier 
#1 ·
It's a 1993 JD 445 that won't turn over anymore. It started fine a few days ago when my son took it out to cut for about 5 minutes. I've had the tractor about 15 years now and maintain regularly.

I've checked other posts on this issue and have tried a few of the suggestions. Here's my issue:
1. turn key, console lights up so battery is good, when middle light goes off, turn key further to start it. It makes a fairly loud steady sound as I turn the key, like it's trying to fire but doesn't.
2. I checked the plugs and there is no spark. I replaced the plugs and still no spark. Oh yeah, when I try to start it, it backfired on two attempts, so fuel is getting there.
3. the seat safety switch was okay, but I bypassed it anyways and still no spark.
4. I always use premium fuel. I also changed the air filter as part of my maintenance.

What's next? The brake has to be pushed in to start it. Is there a safety switch somewhere that is associated with the brake pedal? The PTO switch is fine.

serial # is M00445A011748.

Thanks a bunch

See less See more
#3 ·
Rock, Check + side of coil to ground while cranking engine and you should see 12 volts. If none, bad wire or ignition switch. Then check - side of coil to ground. I believe (??) you should see 7-9 volts, then to 0 volts, back to 7-9. If you have this, coil is good and points are good. If no voltage, remove wire & condenser from - side of coil and check again for voltage. If voltage, coil is good, wire to points or condenser, or points bad. If 7-9 on - side of coil, replace wire from coil to plug. Bob

#5 ·
Check the two LED's on the PCB and see if they are both on. If not it will never start. Search for the remedy to getting both lights on. It has been discussed many times here. It is probably one of the safety switches out of adjustment. The two pedals are usually the culprits and moving either one up or down a tiny bit will usually solve the problem.

#6 ·
All three lights on the PCB light up strong, with the middle light staying on for 2 seconds after turning the key. If the two outside lights on the PCB are the test for the neutral safety switch, then it's not that switch right? And since lights are strong and I can turn on the headlights, battery and cables are good right? It's not the seat switch because I jumped it.

#11 ·
Cam gear ever been replaced?

#13 ·
How many hours did you get on the plastic? 1993 was a long time ago!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.