My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Tyler S
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New to the forums, hope this all works.

I couldn't find a rear weight bracket for my 2001 445. Dealer said they are discontinued. So what else was I to do besides make my own.

I am a design guy, so I modeled it in Pro-Engineer Software after taking some measurements on the rear of the frame. Fabricated it with some simple flat stock and angle iron. I took the rear hitch off and welded everything together on it so it would fit. Gave it a couple coats of paint and here it is. Had to make the rod to go across the weights to keep them in place. I bought four older style weights from a guy i work with, I made the bracket to fit 5 weights, so I need one more. Also, five will fit on the front of the tractor. I will put the weights on the front when using the sprayer I am planning to build. Was thinking of adding the small connecting straps to the frame to carry the weight, but with four weights on it, I could stand on the back and it didn't flex at all. And I am not a small boy (over 250). :)

My plan is to add a 16 gallon spray tank to the top of the weight bracket. I already have the pump and wand, just need the tank and make a boom. Only going to make a 42" boom, I have a lot of small trees and intricate areas to spray around. I ordered the tank from Northern Tool 2.5 weeks ago and it is still backordered. Need the tank to get the measurements off of it to make the frame. Will post pictures of it when I get it going. I already got the switch for the sprayer wired in. See pics.

Let me know if you have any questions, will be glad to answer them.

--Tyler

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,320 Posts
Wow, nice work.
FWIW, when I bouoght my 445 in 1996 I was able to get the weight bracket and the suitcase weights. I immediately found them to be terribly inconvenient, even with weights removed. I couldn't use the draw bar for half the tow behind implements I use, like Trac-Vac, and utility trailer that use a ball. Even the drop-spreader and sweeper were less convenient to use with the bracket on. I took it all back for credit and loaded up on wheel weights that never interfered with anything I used.

Good luck on your sprayer project

·
Diesel Power
1,604 Posts
Nice setup! My 445 had a three point hitch when I bought it so I came up with a way to mount two 5 gallon buckets filled with concrete on the draw-bar. The problem with my set-up was the buckets weighed over 110 lbs. each, and as my back got worse, they got harder to lift onto the tractor.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Tyler S
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys!!

I will take it off when I don't need to use it. I am planning on getting a 54" blade and quick hitch for the winter in a month or so. I need it after the snow we had last year. I wanted to get the weight bracket done so I would be ready for the blade. I'm sure I will need the extra weight for plowing. I am thinking I will need to get some tire chains too, any thoughts???

I have had the weights on the tractor when mowing, both in the rear and the front. I don't really see a great improvement in traction, even with a semi-hilly yard. I do notice that the extra weight does put strain on the speed of the tractor. Anyone else have this problem, is it normal??

--Tyler

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Nice to see something go from Pro-E to the real world. Great fab work!

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,320 Posts
Tyler, I definitely needed weight and chains to plow my drive on the 445. I have a long drive (3000') that winds up hill through the woods. Whenever the snow was wet it kind of stacks up in front of the plow and I needed the extra traction afforded by chains. Just a note of caution, spinning chains on your drive will remove seal coating and if you spin enough, you'll put permanent wear patterns on the drive. Unless you have very steep up hill pushes, the weight and chains should eliminate a need to spin the tires.

Of course, if you get the dreaded mid-Atlantic storm that starts as freezing rain, turns to sleet, then to snow, all bets are off, but you will at least be spinning on the driveway protective coating (of ice).

FWIW, I traded up to an X728 before last snow season, and found the full-time 4WD to be a perfect combo for anything mother nature threw at me last December, January, and February.
Good luck

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
foundryman , great job on the Rear Weight Bracket ... :fing32:

I'm really surprised that the JD Rear Weight Bracket has been discontinued ...

Jere39 , I kept the Rear Weight Bracket off of my 1999 JD 445 and put it on my 2005 JD X595 which has the 1 1/4" Receiver Hitch with an extended Ball Mount/Drawbar , works great for Towing ...

Later,x595

·
Tyler S
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again.

I have a gravel driveway somewhere around 500-800 ft. I'm not to worried about the condition of the driveway, it will just give me a reason to grade the driveway in the spring. :)

I would love to upgrade to a X748 diesel with the 4WD. I got a good deal on the 445 and with only 500 hrs on it, I feel I will have it for a while. Good thing is the blade I plan on getting will fit on a new X700 series if I ever decide to upgrade.

Anyone know where I could get one more older style suitcase weight? I have been looking around and haven't had any luck.

--Tyler

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
ebay or craigs list would probably be your best bet for the older weights.

·
Diesel Power
1,604 Posts
I replaced the half worn turf tires with HDAP's on my 445 and it made a huge difference with about 225 lbs on the three point hitch. In snow up to 6"-8" deep, it did great. The snow storms we got last winter were almost more than it would handle, so I ordered chains after the last big storm. I traded the 445 for an x748 before I used the chains, and I haven't opened the package they came in. Hopefully I won't need them with the 4wd and can sell them.

Here are a few pics of my 445 in the snow.

·
The IOWAN
48 Posts
foundryman... That looks great. Do you know of anyone that would make me a weight bracket with a sprayer attachment for a x495 just like what you did on your 445? I have an ATV sprayer with a boom that I just picked up and was going to try and make my own bracket but the one that you designed looks great and is very functional. Let me know.

·
Tyler S
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I replaced the half worn turf tires with HDAP's on my 445 and it made a huge difference with about 225 lbs on the three point hitch. In snow up to 6"-8" deep, it did great. The snow storms we got last winter were almost more than it would handle, so I ordered chains after the last big storm. I traded the 445 for an x748 before I used the chains, and I haven't opened the package they came in. Hopefully I won't need them with the 4wd and can sell them.
If you don't need the chains, let me know what you would want for them and the cost to ship them to Indiana.

A cab would be nice. Don't know if I want to spend the money on one for this tractor though. Maybe if I can upgrade to a X700 series someday, I will get a cab with it. We had a 317 with a blower and cab when I was a kid, it was nice for blowing snow. We don't get a lot of deep snow here, so the blade should do fine. I really don't mind being out on the tractor in the cold.

--Tyler

·
Diesel Power
1,604 Posts
I really don't mind being out on the tractor in the cold.

--Tyler
The Mrs. feels sorry for me being out in the cold, not realizing how much fun I'm having. I have a Gore-Tex suit, so it isn't bad at all. If I had a cab she would know that I'm just playing.

I will probably keep the chains this winter until I'm sure I don't need them. If I sell them, I'll post it here.

·
Registered
182 Posts
New to the forums, hope this all works.
Welcome from another 445 owner.

I couldn't find a rear weight bracket for my 2001 445. Dealer said they are discontinued. So what else was I to do besides make my own.
Well, you could have looked on eBay, I frequently see the JD brackets for sale and there is at least one aftermarket version on eBay continually. But I like how you think. :trink39:

I am a design guy, so I modeled it in Pro-Engineer Software after taking some measurements on the rear of the frame. Fabricated it with some simple flat stock and angle iron. I took the rear hitch off and welded everything together on it so it would fit. Gave it a couple coats of paint and here it is. Had to make the rod to go across the weights to keep them in place. I bought four older style weights from a guy i work with, I made the bracket to fit 5 weights, so I need one more. Also, five will fit on the front of the tractor. I will put the weights on the front when using the sprayer I am planning to build. Was thinking of adding the small connecting straps to the frame to carry the weight, but with four weights on it, I could stand on the back and it didn't flex at all. And I am not a small boy (over 250). :)
Both the factory and aftermarket brackets I have seen have the extra strap but I don't think it was entirely necessary on them either, they are very robust but nice to have anyway.

As you probably know, the factory and aftermarket brackets can hold six weights, they extend past the main frame to both sides.

It looks good though and very straight forward.

My plan is to add a 16 gallon spray tank to the top of the weight bracket. I already have the pump and wand, just need the tank and make a boom. Only going to make a 42" boom, I have a lot of small trees and intricate areas to spray around. I ordered the tank from Northern Tool 2.5 weeks ago and it is still backordered. Need the tank to get the measurements off of it to make the frame. Will post pictures of it when I get it going. I already got the switch for the sprayer wired in. See pics.
I am interested in the sprayer attachment, are you interested in making a second one (obviously willing to pay)? It appears it would work on my factory bracket as well.

Please let me know.

Regards,

Rich

·
Tyler S
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update:

So I got around to making the sprayer bracket to attach to my weight bracket. It's made from mostly angle iron and some flat stock welded together. It is probably way over built to handle the weight, but oh well. I got the 16 gallon tank from Northern Tool. The pump is a 3 GPM Sureflo Pump with 45 PSI max. The tank is mounted from the bottom with four bolts. I got all of the other parts from TSC and local farm stores. I have 15ft of hose connected to a hand wand for spraying around the house. I put in a return line into the tank to adjust the pressure when spraying with the boom. The boom is only 42" wide, but I didn't want it any wider because of all of the trees I have to mow/spray around. I am really happy with the spray pattern coming from the boom, I will see how some 2-4-D works when I spray the yard this week. My switch is located on the fender for easy on/off.

I do put my four weights on the front when using the sprayer to try and balance the added weight of the water.

Next I want to add some flashing amber lights on the back and maybe a couple of spot/fog lights for when I am plowing this winter (I plan to be plowing in the early, early morning, or late at night). Does anyone have any suggestions for lights???

Here are the pics. I do love taking pics with my Digital SLR camera. Let me know if you guys want to see more pics, or from different angles.
--Tyler

·
Tyler S
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is a very nice looking setup you have designed and built. Great work and thanks for sharing the detailed photos with us!
Thanks!!! It is always fun to see something you design actually get built. And it is even better when you get to do it yourself. ;):thanku:

·
Super Moderator
35,835 Posts
Yep, nice work on that! Where did you get the boom sprayer nozzel tips at. I'm thinking of adding some fold out extensions on my boom sprayer and those look like they'd do the trick!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts