My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
evilleshepherd
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I wasn't able to locate a thread that fit my issue so here goes.
I have an early 1994 JD445 that sometimes will start right up and sometimes the starter sounds like it's spinning up but not engaging the flywheel.
The battery is new and charged at 12.8 volts but I'm getting only 10.5 - 10.8 volts at the small red lead on the solenoid that comes from the keyswitch.
I've had the starter solenoid replaced and I've pulled the starter out and connected it to one of those 12volt emergency car starting battery packs and the starter acts like it should, throwing the gear out and spinning fast every time.
So I'm assuming either a bad key switch (with attached circuit board) or a bad connection somewhere.
Anyone have an idea where is the best place to start or have some good troubleshooting tips? Thanks for any and all the help!

·
2,794 Posts
Not necessarily, if it's not seeing enough power to fully throw the solenoid. 10~something volts is pretty low.

I'd start by checking all the connections both hot and ground, remove any goo or corrosion and apply an electrical contact cleaner/preservative.

·
evilleshepherd
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to agree with Kubota Ronin in that if the starter isn't getting full voltage it could be spinning but not fast enuf to throw out the gear. The meter reads 12.8 volts at the battery connection on the solenoid but I suppose that could drop off when starting if there's a bad positive or negative connection or corroded cable? We've taken apart and cleaned all plug in connectors and we plan to go back through and retestthe safety switches. We just don't want to resort to buying and replacing parts until we hit on the problem. Thanks for the input and all ideas are welcome!

·
Registered
660 Posts
With the starter on the engine and all connected, what happens if you jump the big solenoid terminals with a screwdriver? If the starter works correctly, this means that probably the low voltage to the solenoid is not enough to get it to fully engage. The key switch is a likely culprit. But, some people just put a relay in there to solve it. One side of the coil goes to the small red wire on the solenoid. The other side of the coil goes to ground. One contact (the NO one) goes to the big red cable that goes to the battery. The Common contact goes to the small terminal on the solenoid where the small red wire used to be. The idea is that the current that the solenoid needs is too big to work correctly, but a small relay will use less and work okay. It will then switch the power/voltage from the big wire which should be enough to get the solenoid to work so that the starter runs properly.

Taryl Fixes All has a video on YouTube, but I couldn't find it easily (he has a lot).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts