My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mower deck won't raise on my 445. I pull the Top handle back and it whines, but the deck doesn't move. What might be the problem?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Hydraulic lockout valve

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Low oil.

·
21,840 Posts
Hydraulic lockout valve

Sent from the MTF Free App
:ditto:

A low fluid level will also have a negative effect on hydro function.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Another suggestion--change the transmission filter and oil. Over time moisture accumulates in the oil, from condensation. Oil also oxidizes, clogs the filter and becomes sticky. This contamination can affect a small hydraulic system, making the controls and pressure relief valves hang up. If the relief valve does not close properly, low pressure results, one possible cause of your problem. The o-rings and other parts do not get properly lubricated, accelerating wear. It is much cheaper to maintain than to replace or repair.

·
445MN
373 Posts
Any luck on this, or does the problem still exist ? Inquiring minds (mine) want to know.

David

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been busy with other "must do" projects. Did get around to checking the oil level. it is fine. Although i discovered the seat will not slide forward to make easy access to the dip stick. The seat seems to be locked in place; even when moving the release handle.
Back to the hydraulic problem. Should I look next at the lockout valve? If so, where is it and how do i go about fixing it? Keep i mind that I am very mechanically challenged.

·
445MN
373 Posts
Any updates, or did you give up for now ? I hope you get it resolved soon if you haven't already.

David

·
Registered
233 Posts
Been busy with other "must do" projects. Did get around to checking the oil level. it is fine. Although i discovered the seat will not slide forward to make easy access to the dip stick. The seat seems to be locked in place; even when moving the release handle.
Back to the hydraulic problem. Should I look next at the lockout valve? If so, where is it and how do i go about fixing it? Keep i mind that I am very mechanically challenged.
The lockout valve is down where the front hydraulic hookups are. It should be a t-handle valve. It should be open/close just like a regular valve. Did the deck operate properly before?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the problem is not yet resolved. I finally looked for the lockout valve tonight. Looked around the four hydraulic connectors under the left foot rest. No T-handle valve in sight. A picture or diagram might help.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Should look like this.

Attachments

·
445MN
373 Posts
Hopefully this shows up, but this is the lockout valve.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The pictures helped. They confirmed I was looking in the right place. There is no valve there. Only an elbow in the pipe. Now what should i do to try to fix the problem?

·
445MN
373 Posts
You could pick up a valve on EBay.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Keep working the lever back and forth. They sometimes stick on this tractor if they have not been used before. If this is a recent problem then:

1. Have you had the deck off/on recently and was it hooked back up correctly?

2. Where was the deck height set at? If you had it pretty high the deck won't move that much.

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Is the height adjustment cranked all the way down?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it has been a while; but i though I should let you all know what the problem was. In this case we were thinking too hard. It was very simple. I'll start about two weeks before I noticed the lift didn't work. I noticed a pin on the recently installed 3 point hitch was about to fall out. I put it back in and installed a new keeper pin to hold it. A couple weeks later I noticed the lift didn't work and asked you guys for help. Much to my surprise none of your suggestions seemed to help. I just lived with it as it was for a few weeks until i noticed the end of the hydraulic shaft sticking out - not connected to anything. I removed the pin i had put back in, fed it through the hydraulic cylinder shaft, and WOW - it works now. Very simple solution. Just remember i am mechanically challenged. Anyway, thanks for all the help you tried to give me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts