My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for an older quality lawnmower instead of the cheap ones from the big box stores. I have found a JD 445 that seems to be in decent shape with less than 1500 hours for what seems to be a great price. I spoke with the current owner and he says that the motor runs strong, transmission has no issues but the deck will not raise. It has a 60" deck that is raised using hydraulics. Is this a normal problem with these tractors? Easy fix or really expensive? I am planning to go look at it tomorrow and would like to know more from the experts before making any decision...Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I guess it depends on what is broken. It is really a simple design that is used. I would check to see if the Hyd Ram is moving in and out. (Found on the left rear side of the tractor). If that is moving, it pulls on a flat bar that goes up to the middle of the tractor that in turn pulls on another shaft that lifts up on the draft arms.

I can't remember the year someone else might now but there was a few years that used a plastic cam gear. If if is in the age I would want to ask if he has had that replaced with the steel one.

Good luck the 445 is a great tractor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. I searched the forum for such problems and came up with 0 results so I figured that this was not an ongoing issue with these. Hopefully this works out, the price seems really low from what I have found on the internet for similar tractors.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Could be the lockout valve is turned in under the left footrest if so equiped. As far as the cam with 1500 or so hrs. it would likely have been changed or it probably would not be still be going. Bill

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I think the plastic cams got changed over sometime in 1998...so if it is younger than that then the cam should not be an issue. Great machines...425,445 and 455's. It would be worth checking to see what the cause of the deck malfunction may be. The previous posts cover the most likely culprits, except...and I have run into this...the knob that you set the deck level with gets bound up tight....not a big problem, but remember that the black plastic knob is just a cover for a large bolt head and you can ring it off if not careful. Just check to make sure it will turn freely with the deck raised.
Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts