My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
I don’t think you can do much more, how high do you want to mow at?

On my 425 I mow often in the highest position, I’m guessing it’s a 4.5 – 5.0” cut. I doubt you’ll get much higher without major modifications. I can’t remember but I’d guess the top of the deck is within a inch of the frame and taller tires would cause clearances issue with the deck.

I’d like something that cuts at 8 - 12” but I’m thinking of something like a 3pt mower or a pull behind unit.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My mower cuts at about 2" at the high level. I an wanting to mow closer to 3" or 4". The first responder said his cuts 4" to 8". That would be great. I am asking how to get mine to cut taller.

I just adjusted mine on my 445. I was able to get 4.5" total raised hight out of the deck and I mow at 3.5". You need to take the cotter pins out of each boggie wheel so the deck can go down as low as possible first. Then look at the underside there are arms that come down and hook to the deck. On those arms there is an adjustable turn buckle you can adjust that to get more hight out of it. Just make sure you make even turns on both sides to keep it level from side to side. You then need to adjust the nuts on the front mower deck hanger to level it front to back. Mine is about 1/8" lower in the front than the back and it mows great. I know this explanation suck but let me know I I can clarify anythng better for you or take pictures. It's really not hard to figure out..:thThumbsU

Thanks, Jason

·
Registered
341 Posts
Not sure what your asking. While tractor is running, you pull back on the upper of the two levers by the steering wheel until deck lifts. Then you can turn the nob on floor pan to keep it at the level you need.

·
Registered
340 Posts
2” is definitely not right for the high position, something has to be setup wrong or binding not allowing the deck to go higher when the hydraulic cylinder raises the draft arms. LILGRIZZ gave you the right advise start there.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The two turn buckles on the lift arms were probably adjusted down before to get a lower cut. You can raises them back up by tightening them, and just use a ruler to make sure that both sides of the deck are ven, if you don't you'll have a post about why in the world is your mower deck striping the lawn. :trink39:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just adjusted mine on my 445. I was able to get 4.5" total raised hight out of the deck and I mow at 3.5". You need to take the cotter pins out of each boggie wheel so the deck can go down as low as possible first. Then look at the underside there are arms that come down and hook to the deck. On those arms there is an adjustable turn buckle you can adjust that to get more hight out of it. Just make sure you make even turns on both sides to keep it level from side to side. You then need to adjust the nuts on the front mower deck hanger to level it front to back. Mine is about 1/8" lower in the front than the back and it mows great. I know this explanation suck but let me know I I can clarify anythng better for you or take pictures. It's really not hard to figure out..:thThumbsU

Thanks, Jason
Here is a picture of the adjustable turn buckle. I'm on here 11 years later trying to figure out the same problem, so there are probably more like me. Cheers!

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
467 Posts
From my experience these models (425/445/455) don't allow a real high deck height regardless of how it's adjusted, in comparison to some other models. From the original question I am not 100% sure if the machine itself just doesn't provide a high enough cut at max adjustment, or if you can gain more lift height from adjusting it. If you raise the deck all the way up using the hydraulic controls on the dash you can look under it and see if there is more room for adjustment or not. On mine I have those adjusters (shown above) set up as far as possible but the deck lift arms physically hit the bottom of the frame so you can only get it to lift so high. On my 425 AWS version it came with 23" rear and 16" front tires from the factory. I swapped them out to 26" rear and 18" front tires mainly to obtain a higher deck/cut length.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Here is a picture of the adjustable turn buckle. I'm on here 11 years later trying to figure out the same problem, so there are probably more like me. Cheers!

View attachment 2560713
There could be some adjustment where the arm attaches to the splined shaft (if the turn buckle doesn’t get you enough)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts