My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a JD 425 and was getting it ready for winter when I noticed a pretty big puddle on the floor. Check the hydro fluid it it wasn’t on the stick. Started check around it it looks like it coming from the steering valve. It only leaks when it’s running. How do I fix this. See these pictures…
Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design
Product Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Auto part

·
Premium Member
2019 JD X570, 1996 JD 445, 2003 L110, 1978 212
744 Posts
1st off that is not the pump. The pump is in the rear transaxle. 2nd, that is the steering valve. It works as somewhat of a fluid diverter sending fluid to the power steering and the aux ports. It could be something as simple as an oring on one of the lines or a bigger expense of the valve leaking. You will need to clean thoroughly and identify where the leak starts.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1st off that is not the pump. The pump is in the rear transaxle. 2nd, that is the steering valve. It works as somewhat of a fluid diverter sending fluid to the power steering and the aux ports. It could be something as simple as an oring on one of the lines or a bigger expense of the valve leaking. You will need to clean thoroughly and identify where the leak starts.
Ok thank you for the clarification

·
Registered
523 Posts
That is the Steering Valve and there are 5 O-Rings on the tubes to replace. If that doesen't stop the leak, you will need to remove the valve and re-build it. I don't know if the parts are still available so you might have to do some searching.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Normally the steering valve will either leak from one of the 5 O-ring seals on the lines or from the top seal where the steering shaft goes. You could remove the fenders and foot rest to see the top of it and turn the steering wheel with it running. You might see it leak from there.

You can rebuild, buy a new one for $600, or take a chance on a used one for like $50-$150

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
I just replaced all 5 o-rings, both steering cylinder hoses and the pump to valve hose due to a leak. One of the cylinder hose orings began to leak and when disassembling I noticed all three lines had pretty bad rub wear at the supporting bracket mounts. I did not want to do this again so I just went all in. Make sure if you pull the lines you have a reminder of how they went. Don't ask me how I know but nothing works if any are routed wrong. LOL. I found this while searching through some posts and it helped tremendously when identifying the issue I had.
Black Handwriting Rectangle Font Parallel

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just replaced all 5 o-rings, both steering cylinder hoses and the pump to valve hose due to a leak. One of the cylinder hose orings began to leak and when disassembling I noticed all three lines had pretty bad rub wear at the supporting bracket mounts. I did not want to do this again so I just went all in. Make sure if you pull the lines you have a reminder of how they went. Don't ask me how I know but nothing works if any are routed wrong. LOL. I found this while searching through some posts and it helped tremendously when identifying the issue I had. View attachment 2524237
I just took off the plate and the lines, replaced all the o-rings and it still leaks. It looks like it leaks from right where the hose goes into the steering valve. What do I do now?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Possibly a defective hose or O-Ring damaged on installation.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
From where you are saying it is leaking it appears as if one of the o rings is still leaking. Is that a white lithium grease I'm seeing in the picture? What was that used for? There is nothing on this side if the valve that would leak except hose ports.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From where you are saying it is leaking it appears as if one of the o rings is still leaking. Is that a white lithium grease I'm seeing in the picture? What was that used for? There is nothing on this side if the valve that would leak except hose ports.
Could the valve be leaking or the hoses also the grease was just left on my rag and got on the outside there

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Could the valve be leaking or the hoses also the grease was just left on my rag and got on the outside there
The valve can leak but it appears as if it is leaking on the line side. Unless it is leaking from the shaft seal up top and running down. The only reason I think it may be an oring leaking is because the rest of the valve appears dry and if it was leaking up top it would surely be wet around the entire valve.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
What o-rings did you use. I used a kit I got from Aux-Hydraulics.com as any locally found ones did not have the right thickness or diameter.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I used the Genuine JD Parts listed for the O-Rings on my 445 when it was leaking.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Replace with JD OEM o rings or the above company. They are cheap enough. If you just bought a similar size from any store in town, replace.
It looks like the hose you're pointing to goes to the steering cylinder. Lift up the front end, get underneath, and have someone turn the steering wheel and see if it is coming from the o ring or there's a issue with the hose.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts