My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 425 will not start good anymore. It only tries to start when you let off from the key then it will run a little skipping with darkish smoke like its flooded. after doing this for 5 to 10 min or so it will start but it skips for a while with little black smoke coming out. then it will idol smooth and clear up but you can not give it any throttle or it starts doing this. After about 15 min or so it will take 1/2 to 3/4 throttle but not full throttle or it will start in again. Eventionly it will take full throttle and run very good. It will start doing this every once and a while still, and I will have to back it down to 3/4 again for a while before it will go full throttle again. It had new plugs and fuel filter this spring. Anybody know whats wrong with my deere?

·
MTF Member
255 Posts
My 345 has been acting the same exact way for 6 months. I spoke to my local John Deere service tech. He smiled, laughed and handed me a time delay module. He said he would bet his next paycheck its my problem. It cost 20 dollars and I installed it in about 15 minutes (very easy). I have used it 2X since then and so far so good.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi Jeepattack89,

My 425 was running poorly for about 2 years and couldn't find the problem until I found a leaky intake manifold allowing coolant into one cylinder. It would eventually clear up but it would idle poorly. If you need further help on how find the problem, please contact me.

JD3X

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is there any instructions on how to install the timing module, where does it go? My 425 does not burn antifreeze as far as i know. The level has never dropped. I am open to all suggestions as I want it fixed and running like my deere use to. This just happened one day. thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Have you run seafoam through it, maybe you have some junk in the carb(don't know if a 425 is carburated or not)?

Another thing to think of is a vacuum leak. Check all of your rubber vacuum lines and intake manifold gasket etc. Something may have dry rotted.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just bought and installed a time delay module to see if this is the fix. It started right up and could go right to full throttle with no skipping or smoke. I went to idol to full again and its running smooth. It was the original TDM thats for sure. I hit full throttle and started the mower deck with no problems. Time will tell if its really fixed, but It has never started this good since I owned the tractor. For anyone who might have similar problems I will keep everyone posted.:greendr:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Glad to hear it's up and running like a new one. Cheap fixes are always a great thing. slkpk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts