My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well, the wait is still on for the shop to give us the final verdict. But, they did say it was a very low probability that they could free it up.....

So, looking at the options, right now we are looking at replacing the engine with teh re-man. I've got the number for the guy on ebay and I'm just waiting for the final word before I call him.

If the re-man doesn't work out for some reason, I'll be looking for a "new to me" used unit. But, the wife say it has to be AWS.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
To add insult to injury, this was delivered by UPS yesterday. My plan was an oil change, and tranny fluid change on both 425's....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well, the Monday update.

On Friday there were 3 re-man engines on eBay. This morning it was down to 1.

I called the guy and he said the new engine would not be shipped until he either got my old one or a $1,000 core deposit. I explained that they hadn't even looked at the old one yet. He confirmed what the shop said, that if it seized there was very little hope it would be field repairable.

So, I went ahead and purchased his last one for no figuring on the off chance they miraculously fix it, I can get my money back (14 day "return" policy).

·
Registered
963 Posts
if it seized there was very little hope it would be field repairable
Questionable advice. Numerous examples of seized 425/445 on this forum that were rebuilt.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not related to tractors outside of seeing a couple of them on the property but a while back I went by a place that had a Chevy Lumina in the yard wih a for sale sign that read $750, ceased motor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Not related to tractors outside of seeing a couple of them on the property but a while back I went by a place that had a Chevy Lumina in the yard wih a for sale sign that read $750, ceased motor.
Maye the motor "ceased" to work???

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well, the final outcome....

I decided, the tractor I knew was better than the one I didn't.

I purchased the re-built engine from eBay. The eBay seller's system is a little wonky. He will not ship the rebuilt engine until he receives the core and determines there is nothing wrong with it that will keep him from rebuilding it and moving it forward. He will ship immediately with a $1,000 core deposit.

When you make the eBay purchase, you pay $1,295 for the engine and $80 shipping for the engine from them to you.

When you make the purchase, he ships you an instruction sheet on how to package the engine and a FedEx ground label. If you use this label you will be charge an additional $80 shipping. For the weight and size this is not unreasonable, so I just used his label.

FedEx had the engine to him in 3 days and on day four I received an e-mail stating there was damage to the core crank that needed to be polished out. He did include a photo. Mine? Who knows, but when you get to these numbers $70 here or there is a rounding error. I paid it and he shipped that day. I had the engine 2 days later. I was on a trip, so my wife dropped it off at the shop that was doing the removal/install.

They had it back in and running the next day. When I picked it up there was an instruction sheet for break in which also specified a specific high zinc oil to be use for break in. The shop indicated that they started it up to test it, but had not break in instructions.

The instructions were to start it and once running continuously vary engine speed for 10 minutes. Shut down, let cool completely and repeat two more times. Change oil at 20 hours suing normal oil.

I was really impressed with the shop that replaced the engine. They charged me 9 hours at $65 an hour plus plugs, oil and coolant. I feel their charges were fair and well below what I expected.

Now I just have to replace all the plastic parts and hang the deck.......

I would probably use the eBay guy again if I needed to. As I said, his system is a little wonky but he provides his cell phone number and is available for questions.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Glad it all worked out!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts