My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, before this goes too far, it's my fault. I had the tractor out last weekend and the oil light flashed a couple of times. I thought it funny and went back and parked it to check the oil, and something came up. I didn't check it and forgot about it. We park it in a nice clean garage and no fluids under it so I'm not sure where the oil went... The wife decided to mow and took it out and well, the rest is history....

While I am handy and do a lot of stuff myself, an engine swap is not something for me to take on. As Clint Eastwood said in Magnum Force "A man’s got to know his limitations"; I do......

So, here we are - - -

We have two properties about 2 miles apart. For several years I road the tractor back and forth between the two to get all the work done. I year ago a friend moved to Florida and gave me a deal on his 425AWS, so I now had two. Also in the back of the garage is a Craftsman rider that still cuts.

The "bad" 425 is at a shop I trust, and while they say there is little hope they will give it a try and see if they can free it up.

I also have a Johnny Bucket for the 425 that died.

So, here are my choices as I see them -

1. Buy a new engine from JD, if available. Haven't looked into this one much yet as i figure it will be pricey.

2. There is a guy on eBay selling "Remanufactured John Deere 425 445 Mule Gator Kawasaki FD620D Engine". Right now he shows 3 available, 7 sold. His reviews are 100% positive, but I can't find anything out about him so far. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Exchange-Remanufactured-John-Deere-425-445-Mule-Gator-Kawasaki-FD620D-Engine/312634734342?hash=item48ca7b7706:g:mDQAAOSwMWpc7t97

3. Look for a replacement 425. I love these things. There are some out there, still in the $3,000 range. But, very few AWS which I really like.

4. Scrap the bad 425. Move the hydraulics from the bad 425 to the good one so it can use the Johnny Bucket. Use the Craftsman at one property and if I need something more heavy duty at times drive the good 425 down.

5. Look for something new/newer. A JD or Kubota sub-compact that would take the Johnny Bucket

6. Look for something new/newer with a real FEL

So many choices.....

·
Premium Member
6,093 Posts

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Exactly what I was thinking! The man on eBay has remaned engines for golf carts and other vehicles and always wants a core. Seems legit. Why not contact him and see if he'll give you his phone number. Certainly worth a try to me.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Your engine should be rebuildable albeit the cost will likely be similar to the engine on eBay between machine work, parts and labor. If you have a shop you trust to do the work, it's something to consider.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
There is another company that makes direct replacement "kits" for the 400 series tractors. I was looking at one for my 445......

These guys. :) And upgrade in power as well, reasonable price.

·
Parts collector
2,778 Posts
Too bad you are in NC my neighbor has a 455 AWS for sale for $3K.

·
Premium Member
6,093 Posts
It’s a tough decision, the engine and another 425 are about the same price. If you had the space I’d look for another 425 or even look for an 445 or 455 and keep the ole 425 for parts. This way all your implements can still be used with 425 445 or 455. The hunt is half the fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A new drop in new engine is bout $3k once you add up other items
I've thought about that. At 3K I'd probably look for a different tractor

Your engine should be rebuildable albeit the cost will likely be similar to the engine on eBay between machine work, parts and labor. If you have a shop you trust to do the work, it's something to consider.
Too bad, I don't have or know of one.

Read this thread in detail... if you have a shop you trust maybe it can be fixed.
Amazing work. As I said, a man has to know his limitations. This is way outside of mine....

There is another company that makes direct replacement "kits" for the 400 series tractors. I was looking at one for my 445......
Thanks

Too bad you are in NC my neighbor has a 455 AWS for sale for $3K.
With friends in the DC area if could give me a reason for a road trip. I'll keep it in mind, but I'm waiting for the final verdict on mine.

It’s a tough decision, the engine and another 425 are about the same price. If you had the space I’d look for another 425 or even look for an 445 or 455 and keep the ole 425 for parts. This way all your implements can still be used with 425 445 or 455. The hunt is half the fun
There are quite a few 425's around, but I really like the AWS. I've got to study up on the 445/455. John at Johnny Buckets says the JohnnySr. will mount on anything up to the newer X700 series. If I brought another tractor home I think I'd be dead meat!

Just waiting until the shop can get a minute to look things over. I always thought a shot of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder would fix anything.....

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
445 is a 425 with a fuel injected motor.... step on the brake, bump the key, and it's running. Doesn't matter what the weather is. I LIKE fuel injection. :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
445 is a 425 with a fuel injected motor.... step on the brake, bump the key, and it's running. Doesn't matter what the weather is. I LIKE fuel injection. :D
I like FI, that why I waited until Yamaha came out with an FI gas golf cart before I switched from electric to gas.

So, if a 445 is just FI, what dose 455 have?

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I like FI, that why I waited until Yamaha came out with an FI gas golf cart before I switched from electric to gas.

So, if a 445 is just FI, what dose 455 have?
A diesel engine.

·
Premium Member
6,093 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,093 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts