My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just bought a JD 420...My 420 had the issue I've seen a few other posts about where when you turn the ignition, it only "clunks". If I turned the key enough times, eventually it would crank and turn over. Once it cranked though, it normally started no issues.

Today I changed the oil, and after changing tried starting. It took a lot more tries
to get it to eventually crank. Once it did i let it run for a few minutes, turned it off to check the oil, then tried starting it again. It clicked a few times, cranked once but didn't start, and then suddenly won't do anything. Doesn't click when I turn the key, nothing. Is it the ignition switch? Did something in the starter that was kinda working finally die?

·
Super Moderator
11,472 Posts
Hi Silverback0302 and
to My Tractor Forum...It sounds like your tractor may be a candidate for a starter assist relay...Brad, one of the staff members here has devised a method using a 12V 40 AMP relay for horns and lights...check this link My Tractor Forum Deere makes a kit ...I think it costs around 35 dollars...you can get the parts you need for less than 10 bucks and do it yourself...I have used it on a lot of different tractors...not just JDs and I think it will solve your problem...if you are reluctant to attempt this ( it is very easy and takes about 10 minutes to do it) then disconnect any wire connection that you can possibly find, clean them up and reattach tightly ...good luck with it and let us know how you do

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Silverback0302 and View attachment 2469554 to My Tractor Forum...It sounds like your tractor may be a candidate for a starter assist relay...Brad, one of the staff members here has devised a method using a 12V 40 AMP relay for horns and lights...check this link My Tractor Forum Deere makes a kit ...I think it costs around 35 dollars...you can get the parts you need for less than 10 bucks and do it yourself...I have used it on a lot of different tractors...not just JDs and I think it will solve your problem...if you are reluctant to attempt this ( it is very easy and takes about 10 minutes to do it) then disconnect any wire connection that you can possibly find, clean them up and reattach tightly ...good luck with it and let us know how you do

Thanks Mark, but that link didn't work?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
My 3 cylinder diesel would do that. Usually I could let up on the key and turn it again right away and if would crank fine. Then it started doing it more. I started at the starter cleaning terminals, because it was easy to reach. To check the battery you have to pull the air filter. The PO had put a small positive cable on it. The kind that attaches with a bolt. The tractor takes a 900 CCA battery. So he put a car terminal on the battery, and hooked the small cable to the bolt that tightens the terminal to the battery. Replaced all that and it starts now. I'd clean the lead terminals till they are shiny and wire brush the ends of any wire you can get to.

I'm going to try that starter assist thing too, Joe.

·
Super Moderator
11,472 Posts
Here is a schematic from that thread....I know you will have questions, but I assure you it is extremely easy to do and has worked on every machine I used it...the numbers you see on the drawing don't mean anything to you right now, but if you pick up a relay...you will see the terminals bear these corresponding numbers....just need some short pieces of wire, some spade connectors and an inline fuse holder with a 30 AMP fuse

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Replaced the ignition switch and fuses, cleaned out all the connections I could get my hands on. Going to get the start assist package. When I turn switch to first position the lights come on, when I try to start I get a "clunk", then the lights go out. I checked the fuses, it's blowing out the 3 amp fuse. I replace the 3 amp fuse, get the same results every time.

Any idea what may be blowing out the 3amp fuse?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts