My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a 84 JD 420 suppose to have two fuel filters on it? I was tinkering with my 420 I bought last week and changed the one fuel filter going to the carb, but my tractor has a second fuel filter right next to it that is bigger, appears it is coming from the fuel hose that comes from the on/off/reserve fuel switch?
It goes down under the motor back towards the fuel tank I guess?

I put the JD replacement fuel filter that came in the home maintenance kit, but no other fuel filter was in it.

I am new to these old tractors so please educate me, thanks!

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
A large metal "filter" with two wires? My 318 has that. It is an electric fuel pump from a Gator most likely, as is mine. Someone before you probably got fed up with the pulse type pump, as did the PO of my 318.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have an '83 420, just ran all new fuel lines on the engine install. I only had one filter on mine, under the hood, under the air filter assembly. You can put almost any inline style you want as long as it is in the feed line to the carburetor after the shut-off valve. No need for 2. I agree with PA318guy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.