My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting in on a 420 revitalization and have noticed that there is about a 1/16 of an inch of slop at the end of the spindle on both front wheels. Is this normal? The wheel bearings appear OK, no wobble, just slop back and forth on the spindle between the stop and the snap ring.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
Their really shouldn't be any play in the kingpin area. Does the slop effect steering?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that I notice, but I have never had it under power. I purchased it with a broken connecting rod. I'm thinking that a shim might be the answer.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Don't remember if the 420 has them, but some models have a spring washer between the stop & the inside bearing. Check www.jdparts.com.

·
Registered
86 Posts
vmf,

I own 4 of the 420's, they all have a little bit of slack in the area you mention, 3 of mine have 2000 plus hours and never a problem with spindles or wheel bearings.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
I'm starting in on a 420 revitalization and have noticed that there is about a 1/16 of an inch of slop at the end of the spindle on both front wheels. Is this normal? The wheel bearings appear OK, no wobble, just slop back and forth on the spindle between the stop and the snap ring.

Thanks,
Mark

Hey Mark
I have just about redone the complete front end on mine and the single biggest improvement was setting the amount of movement on the axle deflector bolts. Replacing the worn out (seriously worn out) tie rod ends did not have as much effect. Mine has about the same 1/16 inch play on the wheel bearings and having dealt with farm equipment and being a mechanic for more than 20 years i would be concerned if that play was not there. The wheels / hubs should slide in and out freely but there should be virtually no movement or free play otherwise. You may choose to minimise the movement a bit more but IMHO i would not be the least bit concerned about it. Just replacing the snap rings and washers will likely minimise some of the movement if you are concerned about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts