My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to charge my battery every 2 or 3 weeks to start the engine. The battery light comes on with the key and goes off when the engine srarts.I checked the alternator running about 18v ac. I checked the battery while running at 11.8 v [approx]. It did not seem to go any higher. How is the ac converted to dc? There are no diodes visible in the alternator.Is there a rectifier someplace in tha circuit??
SWEEN

·
9K+ Poster
12,161 Posts
Sween,

I would have your battery load tested. I wouldn't be surprised if it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The batery is about a year old. I put it on the bench charger for 1 hr at 10 amps and it is good for over a week. Tha only drain on the batery is when starting. The batery voltage does not appear to go up when the tractor is running. I am reading on the batery posts and would expect the voltage to increase in a few moments. Thanks for your advice
sween

·
9K+ Poster
12,161 Posts
Sween,

The only reason I suggest load testing the battery is that we have had plenty of posters here with new or nearly new batteries with similar symptoms looking for other electrical fixes only to find a battery that seems fine can fail under a load test. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts