My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
410 Deere BH/Loader User
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This backhoe has a tag above the right front axle. The plate says 410D 312522T. The stickers on the unit say it is a 410C TURBO. My tracking has come up with 1978 for the year but I have no idea. It is clearly an old Instrument panel, which I'll try to attach a picture, because I need to know what the amber indicator near the upper left corner is for. The unit had sever external hydraulic and fuel leaks when I got it. The hydraulics are squared away but I am still having fuel issues.

The fuel tank had several pin-hole leaks and the injection pressure pump was leaking all over. It is a Roosa Master Stanadyne JDB4 pump. I put a seal kit in the pump and after getting the air bled from the system, it seemed to be running just fine. The next tie I went to use it, it wouldn't ever go above idle speed. Even removing the throttle linkage and moving the throttle lever by hand on the pump itself, it wouldn't go above idle. It won't do much work like this.

Yesterday I pulled the pump off again and inspected everything I had done. The only thing that looked suspect to me was the large spring on the governor seemed to have way too much play in it, like it was 1/2" too short. I stretched the spring to compensate and reassembled. Finally when I got the air cleared, it started, but now it was running at approximately full throttle. Again, removing the linkage and manually adjusting the lever on the pump had no affect, so I just put it to work. I have a 22 ton pile of sand to move. After about an hour, I had gotten half the sand moved and all of a sudden it idled back down and the engine is barely running at all and certainly won't do any work.

Before yesterday's adjustment I had replaced virtually every component in the fuel system. The lift pump, both fuel filters, and even the injectors are all brand new.

Now I find that I still have a fuel leak and though my patch on the tank had failed. But upon closer examination, I am finding fuel at a higher place in the engine bay than could be coming from the tank. It was dripping every second in a half dozen different places. I shut the valve off on the tank and sure enough the leaking slowed to nearly non-existent. So the tank isn't leaking. I now suspect the suction line that goes from the tank to the lift pump. There is about 6 inches of that line buried in muck, just like the tank was before I repaired it.

My suspicion now is that line is leaking in that muck and when the engine is running it is constantly sucking air into the system. It's suppose to rain here tomorrow, but if it doesn't, I will run a flexible line to temporarily replace this hard line and see what happens.

I am diesel ignorant but I am guessing if it is sucking air into the system it could be causing some of my problems.

Any input will be greatly appreciated. Does anyone know what the true year of this machine is? Does anyone know if it is just a 410, or a 410 A, B, C, or D? What does the turbo look like on these things?

Thanks is advance for your help

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,951 Posts
I'm not familiar with that model, but most diesel engines have a return line for the excess fuel that goes from the pump to each of the injectors and back to the fuel tank, as the injection system generates more fuel flow than the injectors actually inject into the cylinders. It may be the return line that is clogged and leaking, as that could produce the symptoms that you are describing. If it was sucking air into the system before the lift pump then I doubt that it would run at all, or at least only run for a very short time and then the system would need to be bled again for it to run again.

·
410 Deere BH/Loader User
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. The return line is working fine as you can hear it dripping into the tank after shutdown. I was correct on the leaking supply line. I replaced it with a temporary flex line and all leaking quit. However, it didn't make it run any better. I ran it for about 30 minutes and it would vary from 800 to 1000 RPM and the indicator light at the upper left of the panel would go off intermittently. I am now thinking this must be an oil pressure idiot light. The oil level is fine. Is there anyway low oil pressure could cause it not to run above idle. Is it possible that the crankcase oil is saturated with fuel? I and just brainstorming here. Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,951 Posts
The return line could still be partially clogged. Where does it return to the tank? Since you say you can hear it dripping after you shut it off I assume that it's up near the top of the tank somewhere. Have you opened the fuel cap and looked inside to see if it's doing anything more than dripping while it's running?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts