My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. My JD 4010D (prior to T92000) after many years of light work start blowing air...every year prior to rain season I service the tractor even if I use it or not (oil, filters, grease, etc) I have new injunction pump installed few month back that made the tractor start even in cold weather in the first try (keep battery on solar)
History...no oil, coolant, no issues with power steering/brakes/pto, or power loss. Pressure light comes on if I stop or reverse on downhill. Small knock on idle. I made mistake leaving it outside one night and heavy rain came in that night and when I tried to start the tractor I start getting gummy oily stuff under the exhaust manifold bolt near the radiator. Our rainy season started and I did all services but this time I notice heavy blue smoke coming from the valve breather, smoke stack, and when I open the oil level cap. I checked the oil pressure it was 20psi and I increase it to 25-30psi
Q. Do I start to give it good work out to clean everything inside or that will damage something? What is my options and recommendations? Thank you and happy holidays.

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
How did the oil look after letting it sit out in the rain? If there was no water in the oil and the level was ok dont know what damage the rain would have done. But that should have been checked before trying to start it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As stated I check my tractor before any start and that how I found out that I had no water or coolant in the oil or oil mixes with coolant or any loss of any liquid. After my startup the gummy liquid appeared and not before. Last change of oil the engine was dark and hydraulic was light brownish as the time before that. The metal mesh near the filter was not clogged but had some about 20% of heavy greasy materials no metal as far as the oil pan it had no metal and no clogging materials the screen was greasy but no muddy stuff. I thing the rainwater got into the exhaust muffler and did not notice or know about it without starting or I need to include taking muffler, exhaust, valve cover with every pre-check. The only difference from last time use and the start of this time is the rainwater and limited use

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
From what you have posted I see no reason to take it apart. The water in the exhaust more than likely just washed old exhaust partials loss. I would take it out and use it letting engine heat dry itself out. Next time cover the exhaust if it needs to sit outside or just install a rain cap so you don't forget to.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
4,558 Posts
Many of the old tractors had a tin can just a little larger than the pipe to cover the exhuast and depending on the air cleaner arranagement, somethong to keep hornets/wasps or like minded flying insects out of the air cleaner.

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
These were farm tractors designed to operate in the foulest elements man could endure. I really doubt a few bugs in the air cleaner will present a problem.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
4,558 Posts
Wait till you clean a nest out of the air cleaner and any disturbance p*ss*ng them off and they swarm you. Oh an it's a little tough getting wasp/hornet swap down into the housing without opening it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts