My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother has a 400 that has been in the family for 20+ years. It has had an engine rebuild and a fresh mower deck installed over the years and has been a good tractor.

Last fall he bought a used 46" single stage snow blower for it. The blower was on a 420 so he modified the mounts and has it on the 400. It did a great job last winter.

He is now hunting for a replacement front drive shaft (the short one - the two universals are shot) and is having some trouble finding a replacement. A drive shaft shop can put one together but it is a few hundred dollars.

Does this seem about right? Any sources for used other than watching eBay and CL?

Here are some pics.

:thanku:
IMG_1849.jpg IMG_1852.jpg IMG_1851.jpg IMG_1850.jpg

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
That's a little pricey but the U joints can be expensive. Does he know how to weld? He could order the splined U joints from here http://drive-lines.com/neapco/l600.php and weld it on metal stock you can get at Tractor Supply. You might save a few bucks.

You other option and this is a stretch is to try and find a mower deck drive shaft and see if you can convert it to your needs. I assume you hook the blower up to the front PTO so it takes 15 spline 1 inch diameter joint?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a little pricey but the U joints can be expensive. Does he know how to weld? He could order the splined U joints from here http://drive-lines.com/neapco/l600.php and weld it on metal stock you can get at Tractor Supply. You might save a few bucks.

You other option and this is a stretch is to try and find a mower deck drive shaft and see if you can convert it to your needs. I assume you hook the blower up to the front PTO so it takes 15 spline 1 inch diameter joint?
Yes that is how it is powered.

My brother is a better welder than I am (not that that is saying much) and does have a stick and Mig welder.
:thanku:for the link, I'll share it with him.:trink39:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Poeny when you say the universals are shot. Are you talking about the cross bearing or the Yokes?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Poeny when you say the universals are shot. Are you talking about the cross bearing or the Yokes?
Bearings I think but I will have the part here tomorrow for a pic and analysis.

My father, and the former 400 owner, is stopping by with it.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have tried but can not find the parts diagrams for this snow blower. I looked directly, under a 318 and 420 as attachments, ...

Can anyone identify this blower and point me to the parts diagrams for it? The Model/Serial # as seen in the picture above is M00062X537029.

Peter

·
Registered
148 Posts
Peter,

I revised the JD parts "Model search" to "46". I found what I think you are looking for; it is catalog# 1937. Use the "Catalog Number Search" to locate this catalog. The parts for the thrower will be in section 15 of this catalog.

The bearings and crosses are available, as a package. Part# AE793E is $13.25 for each joint. Each drive shaft section is available from Deere. Hold on to your hat if you go that route!

I hope this helps.
Bill

·
Registered
148 Posts
Peter,

I looked at the compatibility charts, linked by 69project. A subnote for the 46 snow thrower states:
"400 Tractor requires AM39526(P) conversion kit. 46-in. Snow Thrower also requires AM36610 drive shaft (same as used on 50-in. Snow Thrower)."

I would assume AM39526 relates to the hitch problem your brother has already overcome. AM36610 drive shaft appears to be considerably shorter than that used on the 420. The catalog # for the 50 snow thrower is 1532. It sounds as if your brother has already overcome this length difference?

JD parts does not list the bearings and crosses as a separate part number for the AM36610 drive shaft. Also, the AM36610 drive shaft is NLA. I wonder if a good driveline shop could source bearings and crosses to rebuild his drive shaft?

Bill

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Peter,

I looked at the compatibility charts, linked by 69project. A subnote for the 46 snow thrower states:
"400 Tractor requires AM39526(P) conversion kit. 46-in. Snow Thrower also requires AM36610 drive shaft (same as used on 50-in. Snow Thrower)."

I would assume AM39526 relates to the hitch problem your brother has already overcome. AM36610 drive shaft appears to be considerably shorter than that used on the 420. The catalog # for the 50 snow thrower is 1532. It sounds as if your brother has already overcome this length difference?

JD parts does not list the bearings and crosses as a separate part number for the AM36610 drive shaft. Also, the AM36610 drive shaft is NLA. I wonder if a good driveline shop could source bearings and crosses to rebuild his drive shaft?

Bill
Thanks Bill!

I'll look at the JD site a bit more soon with your info. I took a pic of the shaft earlier and will post it soon as I get my son in bed. A drive line shop said the best they could do was to build a new one. Slightly larger diameter parts but the connections would fit and the length would be right. The price was $250ish + tax which in these parts gets it to about $275.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, not that these change anything but here are a few pics in all of their glory. The joints are fairly loose but work ok. I don't see any parts or rust falling out when turning them.

IMG_0252 (2).jpg

IMG_0250 (2).jpg

Hard to see but the right joint has threads ready for a zerk fitting. The left one the zerk is broken off and the remaining threads need to be backed out and a new one installed. With this done and grease pumped in the joints might hold up for the year or at least until he can find a used one or break out the wallet to have one fabricated.
IMG_0248 (2).jpg

I will have to share the link from earlier in case he wants to give it a try on his own.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What confuses me is that the universal joint drive shaft place says they can't get replacement universal joints to put into the pieces we have. They measure about 1" x 1" (inside of the yoke for both) which does not sound like that strange of a size to me. It is the outside dimension (B in the image below) that seems hard to find. I think it is something like 1.8". I'll have to measure again, take notes this time, and do some more looking at U Joint sites.

crosskit.gif

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Yeah, I was curious about that because they are different looking. Maybe one is a different model year or something. The seller apparently knows what it's worth too compared to having one made.

I would think if they are the same 15 spline end and a keyway on the other and it's the same length it would be worth getting. But that's an expensive bet.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
You can try Cecilia Tractor Service 305 Main St. Cecilia, KY 42724 ph: 270-862-9279. This is where I got my U joints etc when I built my Rear PTO shaft for my 400 which have got to be about the same size. This place is like stepping back into 1975. The guy has worked there about 20+ years and the owner he works for has owned it for over 50 years. He normally deals with full size tractors but he entertained my crazy requests. He looks up stuff in parts catalogs not a computer so that should tell you something. Now, he is a local guy here so I don't know if he will ship since he gets his parts sent to him. If this place pans out for you and he wont ship, send me a PM and maybe we can work something out.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can try Cecilia Tractor Service 305 Main St. Cecilia, KY 42724 ph: 270-862-9279. This is where I got my U joints etc when I built my Rear PTO shaft for my 400 which have got to be about the same size. This place is like stepping back into 1975. The guy has worked there about 20+ years and the owner he works for has owned it for over 50 years. He normally deals with full size tractors but he entertained my crazy requests. He looks up stuff in parts catalogs not a computer so that should tell you something. Now, he is a local guy here so I don't know if he will ship since he gets his parts sent to him. If this place pans out for you and he wont ship, send me a PM and maybe we can work something out.
Thank you, I'll keep that in mind if needed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts