My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my steering real sloppy.

Upon investigation I noticed where the steering cylinder coupler attaches to the front left wheel, the coupler slips off the pivot ball which makes the steering real sloppy.

I have tried to remove the bolt from the bottom with much difficulty.

Is there some spacer that sits on top of the arm to keep it firmly on the pivot ball?

How can I repair this? Bailing wire??

Dose the 1/2" blot screw out from the bottom?

Thanks, Richard

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
If the pivot ball is worn enough to let it slip off......the only way to fix it would be to replace it. If you are talking about the tie rod end, it should have a nut on the bottom.

The part number that you are looking for is AM100644 and is available from Keepingitgreen.com for 11.82 plus shipping. (Tie rod end)

If you are talking about the pivot ball that is on the end of the steering cylinder, is is part number AM100645 and sells for 14.66 (steering cylinder end)

Both of them should have a nut on the bottom that hold them in place.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Than you for your answer.

The part you mendtioned is for the first, rear attachment point. That part is correct for that first attachment point on the left wheel and as well on the right wheel.

On the left wheel there are two attachment points for steering.
On the right, there is one.

I am talking about the second, further-most forward point, where the cylinder attaches, through a slotted flange on the left wheel.

Thanks,
Richard

·
10K and Climbin!
12,350 Posts
Is the axle wobbling front to back? The jamb nuts (on the left and right side under the frame) that hold the axle straight could be loose which lets the axle move front to back a little which also causes some steering slop. Jack the tractor up and move the axle front to back to see how loose they are.. Just a thought..:trink40:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A dear friend stopped by today unannounced , a retired machanice that works on the BIG stuff.

He was up in VT working on some Earth Movers etc.. that are working 24/7
in VT due to Irene.

He took one look at my problem and had the tie rod end off in half an hour.

Most of the time was waiting for his '"magic juice," as he calls it"' to work.

It turns out that the tie rod end has a .5" x 2.5" bolt through it and threads through the top of the left spindle and then a nut cap.

http://www.dowdatractor.com/pages/O...R,HYDROSTATIC_-_400/14750002/1475A180A0500016

The tie rod end was trashed and so rusted!!! The bowl had broken out of the holder and there was no bushing or washers etc.. He hammered on the bolt nut cap and was eventually able to unscrew the bolt. The left spindle is cracked through at the top where the bolt goes through. Maybe I should replace, tack weld it or ???

"BRL" suggested a 1/2" 20 Rod End from Grainger, thank you, but I am going with JD parts. All the parts ~ $ 50.

So here I stand with a great MONSTER, great 60" deck, works really well!

This weekend I hope to mount the Loader 20, with a rebuilt gear pump and "Alan's" modified gear pump holder????

Thanks to All,
Richard

1 - 7 of 7 Posts