My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Green With ENVY
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to purchase a 355D at a good price. Great physical condition, deck very good. The only problem is that it needs a rebuild. I've done some research and the only parts I can find is OEM through Deere. The pistons and rings only come in stock. Noticed a top end groove leading me to believe that it prob. needs at least .010 over. Can anyone point me in the right direction for Yanmar parts or aftermarket. If I can spend 500 or less on parts I will come out way ahead of the curve. Thanks, Stiver

·
I color outside the lines
2,159 Posts
How many hours is on that thing? I would be worried about the hours on the rest of the tractor if the Yanmar is wore out.

·
Green With ENVY
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've to go back by and get a few pics and the hours. I'm hoping maybe he just didn't service the engine right. The whole setup including a 54" deck in good shape is only 600.00. Thinking it is a good deal because the part out would be worth more even if I can't work out the engine issue. Wonder if any of the other Yanmar's would bolt up?

·
Green With ENVY
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, after some research I found some tech info. No local Deere dealers wanted to take the time to help out. Yanmar pretty much shut me down after learning of JD product. Anyway for anyone who wants to know Bore size 78.0 mm limit for standard rings 78.2 I bought it, only 243 hrs on it. tractor and deck in excellent shape. By the coke ring on the crank it looks if the owner never changed the oil or any filters. Looking like maybe 3-400 for rings and gaskets. He even through in a Deere metal yard trailer.... A real joy to assemble.. I know why I got that one...lol

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I LOVE the 355D! I've never seen one worn out, unlesss it was abused. Sounds like maybe that one had poor air filter maintenance to wear a groove (ridge) at the top.

·
Green With ENVY
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ENGINE TECHIf its ok I maybe hitting you up for some help. I've never worked on a yanmar before. I have a good bit of diesel knowledge but it is on the ford 6.0 and 7.3. I'm a supervisor/paramedic/fleet manager for a private ambulance service.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
ENGINE TECHIf its ok I maybe hitting you up for some help. I've never worked on a yanmar before. I have a good bit of diesel knowledge but it is on the ford 6.0 and 7.3. I'm a supervisor/paramedic/fleet manager for a private ambulance service.
Sure, go for it. Glad to help. I've torn them down, but it's been a while (they are pretty rare). Only used on the 355D and the front mount F735. Keep the F735 in mind as that might help you find parts one day.

They are basically like a smaller version of an old Ford 6.9 w/ mechanical injection. You'll have no problems figuring out what's going on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts