My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If and when the dealer returns my 345 from replacing the 54" deck, etc...."If" is highlighted. I would like to remove the steering wheel to make some minor repairs to the tilt wheel boot and lube the guide gears on the shaft.

The nut on the shaft is 5/8" and easily removed, but, that is about as far one can go without tearing/damaging everything. So, what is the secret way to remove the steering wheel? Don't instruct me to use a wheel puller, as that only mars or damages the steering wheel.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I loosened the nut, but didn't remove it all the way, then while standing on the foot rests pulling it up and rocking it side to side it will pop off, its not easy but it works and leaving the nut on a few threads keeps you from ending up on your butt.

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I loosened the nut, but didn't remove it all the way, then while standing on the foot rests pulling it up and rocking it side to side it will pop off, its not easy but it works and leaving the nut on a few threads keeps you from ending up on your butt.

I will try that, blown67. But, I'll be sure and leave enough nut on the thread part of the shaft so I won't go flying over the back of the tractor. I did just that several years ago when removing the steering wheel on my Ford 8N...removing the nut and took a big hefty heave on the wheel and went flying backwards.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
On my GX345, I backed off the nut to the end of the thread, put a wheel puller on the wheel and then adjusted it so it was under tension, and then tapped on the part of the puller that was in contact with the threaded rod until the wheel popped off. It really did pop, there was no middle ground. There was no way I could have gotten it off by just pulling on it with my hands.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts