My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking around for another used tractor, and found two 325's, supposedly, both are 1998 model year and are both under 465 hours, with 48 inch decks. They look to be in totally equal, nice, and well cared for condition. However, they have different engines. One is a Kawasaki 17 HP single cylinder, the other a Kawasaki 18 HP twin cylinder. Both air cooled.

Since the price is identical on both, I thought I'd ask here if there should be any real preference as to engine, considering durability, gas usage, actual power, etc'.?

My usage would be mostly for mowing, and then tilling the garden spring and fall.

·
Three of my friends
9,169 Posts
I looked at some 325 s on another site and some of them had 14 hp Kaw engines also.The 18 hp single would probably be less maintenance and are good engines and don't have overhead valves that need adjusted.I would prefer the 18 hp Twin just because of the smoothness of the twin cylinder.Either engine will give you lots of service.

·
Banned
2 Posts
I have been looking around for another used tractor, and found two 325's, supposedly, both are 1998 model year and are both under 465 hours, with 48 inch decks. They look to be in totally equal, nice, and well cared for condition. However, they have different engines. One is a Kawasaki 17 HP single cylinder, the other a Kawasaki 18 HP twin cylinder. Both air cooled.

Since the price is identical on both, I thought I'd ask here if there should be any real preference as to engine, considering durability, gas usage, actual power, etc'.?

My usage would be mostly for mowing, and then tilling the garden spring and fall.

18hp more power you can cut the grass quicker ,but it will use more gas ,,Dependability not sure of as it is used ..but over all if it was taken care of it should be a good mower ...

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
IIRC, the 325 originally came out with a 17hp single cyl. air cooled in 1996 and then Deere switched over to a 18hp twin air cooled in 1998.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
IIRC, the 325 originally came out with a 17hp single cyl. air cooled in 1996 and then Deere switched over to a 18hp twin air cooled in 1998.

THis is correct. So you've got two engines available depending on what model year you are looking at. Either is good.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
engine tech,
Thanks for confirming, I wasn't sure.
My gt275 had a 17hp air cooled and was an excellent engine. Very powerful!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts