My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Tinkerer
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery light has been on since I got this tractor last year but it didnt give me any trouble during mowing season last summer and fall. Over the winter when snowblowing I had to charge the battery once but attributed that to the cold weather.

This spring Im having an intermittent issue since Ive used the 320 to haul some lumber for a shed, swingset and deck project and also doing bed prep around the house with the tiller.

Sometimes when I turn the key I get a click at the starter solenoid and when I turn the key a second time it fires up like nothing is wrong. I had originally suspected the voltage regulator was going bad but after pulling off the wires and the clip that holds them to the regulator it appears that most of the contacts inside the plug are either badly corroded or slightly scorched. The connector leading off of the brown wire seems to have gotten hot enough to actually slightly melt and discolor the plastic of the plug. The last thing Id like to deal with is a wiring related fire so should I start by replacing the plug and connectors before assuming the regulator is faulty?

Also, I know on some of these connectors its possible to remove the metal "spade" that clips over the contact on whatever they are being plugged into so they can be replaced. Does anyone know if that is the case with the regulator plug?

·
Administrator
21,336 Posts
I would suggest you start by cleaning all electrical connections/contacts. Be sure to do the grounds, too, where the main cable connects to the tractor frame. My thought on the click at the solenoid is a low voltage issue, caused either by a dirty/corroded contact in the safety circuit or on one of the ground connections.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts