My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My JD318 1989 lawn tractor seems to have limited or sporadic control over the engine speed. It varies without me touching the rabbit/turtle. Particularly surges. When I mentioned this to the dealer when buying deck parts he said that’s not good... I would love to save it as it’s a workhorse or is it time for a new one? If so, what can you recommend as it’s been 32 years since I needed to look! Currently I have a 50” deck and would only consider smallest 48” or a lawn service 😞. Thanks in advance
Donna

·
Registered
JD317, JD318, JD430GT
530 Posts
Can you pull the choke out to a position where the surging goes away? If so, it's probably a clog in the carburetor or a leak in the intake manifold. Try it and let us know. We can give advice from there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you pull the choke out to a position where the surging goes away? If so, it's probably a clog in the carburetor or a leak in the intake manifold. Try it and let us know. We can give advice from there.
thanks! i will as as soon as i can now fix the pto switch so i can start it! sitting under a blue tarp in the yard 🙄

1 - 3 of 3 Posts