My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is this 318 with Onan engine and 1492 hours a good deal at $1599? Is this likely a candidate for major overhaul with the high hours soon?

Thanks

1986 John Deere 318 with 50" deck new bearings in deck, power steering, hydro on front and is hydro forward and reverse.Hydro raise and lower deck. Onan B43G 18 hp motor. Mows and runs 1492 hours.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: JD 318 for sale

How do I change thread title to: JD 318 questions

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: JD 318 for sale - title revision

Click on the advanced button when you reply next time.
That lets you change the title.

·
Registered
44 Posts

To answer your question as far as price, around here that's just a tad high. I've seen 318's in good shape with about 1500 hours going for $1200-1300. If you're interested I'd start around there and see what the seller says.

My 318 has 1535 hours on her. She's always been worked hard but was serviced properly when it comes to maintenance. She runs strong, doesn't smoke and no way would I take $1,499 for her. LOL

·
Super Moderator
13,365 Posts

This will cover some of your questions on the 318.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=266254&highlight=

Yes I would do a compression test. For the B43G anything about 80 is OK. Do you know if has had any work done? Any pictures.

Price is really dependent on condition and location. I dont think 1500 is all that unreasonable but that is without seeing pictures.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts

I just bought one with a hydraulic blade on the front for 200 dollars :thThumbsU

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
I changed the thread title for you. That many hours might/might not be a problem. Compression Test and if the OP has done good maintenance service to it. Look for any leaks and smoking when running and going from idle to wot. :fing32:

·
Deceased April 2016
1,225 Posts
Is this 318 with Onan engine and 1492 hours a good deal at $1599? Is this likely a candidate for major overhaul with the high hours soon?

Thanks

1986 John Deere 318 with 50" deck new bearings in deck, power steering, hydro on front and is hydro forward and reverse.Hydro raise and lower deck. Onan B43G 18 hp motor. Mows and runs 1492 hours.
Hello royalton10
If the 318 only comes with a Mowing deck I would say that is all of the money for that tractor with those kind of hours. I Lucked out and got a smoking deal on mine about Five years ago I paid $300.00 for mine from a John Deere Tri-Green dealership. It came to me with an almost brand new 48" replacement deck which retails for $1300.00 ! I used it almost Four year's mowing Two full acres of grass Per week with it, and decided to have it's Onan Engine re-built as it only had 70 Pound's of compression even between the Two cylinder's. Many choose to re-power with Off Brand engines but I did not consider placing a China made Briggs & Stratton, Kohler, or Honda off Brand engine in mine so I Laid out $1475.00 to have a new P-218 Built for mine. Many are not aware of tyhis but all current engines offered in he United States are China Made and the quality nor durability is no where near what it used to be when they were made here in the U.S..

I now have a 54" Four way Hydraulic Blade for mine as well as the Model 30 Tiller with the Optional 12" extension kit making it a full 42" cut. All in and done now being fully restored I have $2600.00 in mine and would never consider selling it. Onan engines are not cheap to Build or re-build but they make a lot of Power and are what should stay in the 318's in my mind. I now have Placed a David Kirk Point's saver Moduel in my Point's ignition system as I used the Original B-43-G Oil Pan, flywheel, driveshaft and ignition that came off my original B-43-G engine on my P-218. By Placing the Kirk Point's saver Moduel it has Cut way back on my fuel consumption and given me much quicker starts and a lot more power. I got tired of replacing the Point's set's due to condensor failuer's that cause pitted or burned points Prematurely. David Kirk engines claim's that you will get Thousands of hours of life out of a set of Onan Points by adding their moduel and it only cost's $32.00 shipped to your door. here is my 1983 John Deere 318 fully restored now. Regards, Hammerdown

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Hammerdown.....are even the vangaurd Briggs assembled in china now?? I knew some of the cheaper residential mower engines were such as the Kohler Courage and probably the intek Briggs.

Kinda weird that is the situation when my Kawasaki had made in the USA stamped on the block when the American companies are being bolted together by the chineese

1 - 12 of 12 Posts