My Tractor Forum banner

JD 318 or JD 425

3K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  llawrence9 
#1 ·
If you had basic similarity between the two - which would you choose?

I hear that the 318 is an amazing tractor with lots of history. And, I see that they've got fairly similar features (liquid cooled, power steering, hydraulic PTO, etc.)

So - if there were reasonably similar (hours, age, condition, etc.) where do you spend your $3K.

thank you!

#2 ·
425.... its newer, more ergonomic, and did I mention newer.......

Big trade off between the 318 and the 4-5 series is the cost off attachments. The 49 blower or 54 blade for the 318 will run $300-600 in most places.... mean while a quick hitch and blower will run $1500+ and a blade and quick hitch will run $800+.

Made this video a few weeks ago the first half might not be too helpful or it might not help at all (if you don't want to watch about the 110 and 140's go to about the 9:45 mark.)

#4 ·
Probably the 425. What is the intended use? Mowing - 425 for sure.

#6 ·
I would go for the 425 for the foot operated hydro. I have had tractors with both hand and foot operated hydro transmissions and I definitely prefer the foot operated hydros, but that's just, my personal taste.

#7 ·
The 318 scores points for being smaller to fit into tight areas, and for being just a little bit heavier for slightly better traction.

The 425 scores major points for the foot controlled hydro, and for liquid cooling if you want a heated cab for winter operations.

Both will pull anything that a homeowner would reasonably expect to need pulling, when properly ballasted.

#16 ·
I would go look at and drive them both. The 318 is quite a bit smaller tractor which may or may not be an issue for you.
If your talking about a tiller, look into the price and availability of a rear PTO setup for them both, or the hydraulic tiller options
Look into the year of the 425- The plastic camshaft could make or break a good deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.