My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my 318 torn down, doing some last minute maintenance before snowblowing duty, and noticed the muffler was broken. This was no doubt due to my homemade muffler stack, which gets the exhaust fumes up high but is putting a lot of stress on the muffler. Time for a redesign.

ANYWAY. My question is, has anyone ever stuffed/packed their muffler with ceramic wool in order to dampen the sound a bit? I find the 318 awfully loud, particularly with the cab on.

Obviously I'm not gonna go to town and plug it right tight, but thinking about stuffing a small amount in to see if it makes any difference.

Should I?

Attachments

·
Registered
JD317, JD318, JD430GT
835 Posts
If it helps, here is a muffler I built for the Honda engine on my 318. One pic shows the internals of the original. The rest are the new build.
My muffler came out a little louder than desired. I was more concerned about restricting air flow than noise, so in hindsight I should have made the holes smaller.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well.. I did it. Haven't tried it yet so I'm not sure how well it'll work. I didn't want to butcher my muffler any more so I just rolled a couple pieces up and stuffed them inside the muffler. I only did two 4"x4"x0.5"pieces per side. We'll soon see if it made any difference.
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Metal Composite material

Gas Automotive exterior Auto part Rim Close-up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts