My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,270 Posts

·
Three of my friends
9,344 Posts
First thing you need to check is the axle spindles,jack up the front and see if it is still hard to turn,if so take the spindles out and clean them and new grease,I have had to use a large hammer on some because of the rust and old grease crud,hammer on the top with something that won't damage the top of the spindle .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not done the list - sorry. I just picked it up from the shop where I had a leak in the transmission. They replaced a seal, couple of bearings and an o-ring and added some transmission fluid. It turned fine when I took it in but now it is hard to turn both directions. Do I need to bleed the line? Could there be air in it?

·
Super Moderator
39,270 Posts
Did you check the transmission fluid level after the "added" some? I've seen dealers not add the correct amount before. What were they working on something with the hydraulics or tranny?

·
Three of my friends
9,344 Posts
Won't be any air in ,it is an open system,if it was completly drained and you ran it 5 minuites it would clear up

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There was a leak around the seal that is right above the filter. They replaced the seal, bearings and o-ring. They added two quarts of fluid and the fluid level where it is supposed to be. The lifting of the deck and the turning was fine -- just needed to stop the leak and it was making a mess on the deck where it leaked.

·
Three of my friends
9,344 Posts
If you have NOT run it long jack it up and push the control lever up and let it run for a few minuits if there is any air it will come out,might turn the steering wheel while you have it jacked up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have started it and let it run a couple of times for about 10 min. each without driving it. Then I drove it from house to barn - is that too much? Should I still do as you suggest with jacking up?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Letting it just sit and run isn't going to help purge the system.

You can purge with it jacked up, or by driving it around (which is the procedure listed in the service manual). Basically a series of quick starts and stops, hard lock to lock turns, and exercising the hydraulic control levers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts