My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a real nice, 2nd owner 83 318. It only has 475 hrs and has been maintained very well.

It mowed great for me all summer and has been parked for about 6 weeks in my garage. The other day I tried to start it and it would just turn over, sounded like no fuel, just guessing.

Anyway, I am now needing to get it ready for snow blowing season and want to get it running great again and then figure out how to get the blower attached etc, before the first snow,which seems oddly close.

Today, I tried again and same result, it has fuel in it, but I went ahead and switched it over to reserve, still no go. I poured a little gas into the carb and it fired right up. Let it run, choked for a little bit, because it is cold natured. After about 5 minutes, I took it for a spin, and it ran, mowing for about 5 minutes, then started cutting out. If I killed the PTO and idled it down real quick, I could keep it running, at first. Finally it just died and is sitting in the yard.

Where should I start trouble shooting? Also, the last time I had it running, I did notice a little surging now that I think about it. I know the stator was replaced with a new one about 4 years ago, and dont think that is it. But I am no pro.

Any tips?

·
16,622 Posts
Sounds like a fuel-related problem......

Do you have an in-line gas filter?
Is your gas fresh?
Have you ever pulled the carb and cleaned it--or can you?

If it is gravity flow--pull fuel line loose near carb--drain in can--see if it's a steady flow--then work your way backward to the tank....

glenn

·
Super Moderator
33,699 Posts
Check your lines, if they are badly weather checked then change them all the way to the pick-up lines in the tank. Also you may have a bad vacuum line on the fuel pump (to the engine crankcase).

·
Just John Deere
743 Posts
I would start with the pickup lines in the tank. This is a very common problem.

GotDeeres

·
Three of my friends
9,003 Posts
It is not ucommon for these Onan's that after they set for a while to be hard to start,I think the gas evaporates and the fuel pump has to work hard to get the float bowl filled,pull the out line from the pump and put the end in a container and crank the motor over (pull plug wires first) if there is nogas coming out start from there and goback to the tank,if you got gas to the carb clean the carb but DO NOT take it off the manifold,clean the jets clean the bottom,pay real close to the idle jet,it must have a hole completly through it.I start mine at least every two weeks and let it warm up,this year it has not been used much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts