My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a first time JD owner. I bought a used 318 (S/N M00318X019690). It starts and runs great and then out of the blue whether idling or moving along it dies. At times I have reached down and turn the switch key off and back on and almost every time it continues to run. I have put a new switch key on and new fuel filter. I could blow back into the tank by mouth with now issue. IT will do this at low and high RPMs. The neutral and seat safety switches, and light switches have been bypassed. Lights did not work until I did an inline splice to a wire that becomes hot when switch key is in the on position.

Any thoughts. If it was a heat issue .. it would keep this up, but it seems to throw a fit and then is fine for 20-30 minutes. Even on in the snow, plowing, I am having this issue.

P.S.
The safety switches were as they are now, it was not something I did. Looks like someone instead of fixing\replacing a worn out switch just bypassed them. Lets see: Neutral, Lights, Seat (not sure if this one had one) .... will be getting them replaced ....

·
Three of my friends
9,135 Posts
When it dies does it start right up,there is a circuit breaker on the right side bolted to the side panel,1 inch lol Loki got box with wires on both ends,might be it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When it dies does it start right up,there is a circuit breaker on the right side bolted to the side panel,1 inch lol Loki got box with wires on both ends,might be it
Yes it usually starts right up .. at the most I have to wait 5-10 seconds .... It does seem like a trip and by turning switchkey off it resits it I take it. It starts to die, turn key off\on and then it runs ....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW, thank you for replying and giving me some direction ....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have you tried cleaning your spark plug? I know on my sears before I adjusted the carburetor when it ran too rich it would die in 30 min of use, when I cleaned the sparkplug it seemed to be good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you tried cleaning your spark plug? I know on my sears before I adjusted the carburetor when it ran too rich it would die in 30 min of use, when I cleaned the sparkplug it seemed to be good.
Well one never knows ... I'll pick up two new plugs tomorrow since I have no idea how old, the ones on there are.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you say right. is this the right side as you it in the tractor seat or as you stand in front of it looking at it. Do you have a picture of what I am looking for ...

Thank you

Kevin

·
Three of my friends
9,135 Posts
Right side setting on the tractor,kinda hard to see with the battery in.
Image of John Deere Am33621 25 Amp Circuit Breaker 110 120 140 180 200 300 400

·
Three of my friends
9,135 Posts
Reactions: KevHead962

·
Three of my friends
9,135 Posts
Sent you a pm.
Look up on the right top of this page,should see a red dot by your avatar.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I replaced the fuel filter, plugs, new air filter (paper & foam) and still doing it. I also inspected connections for the breaker and others and they all were tight. Yesterday it ran for 1 hour plus with no issues, then it threw its fit again. I ran it partially choked, lower RPM and that seemed to make a difference .... so much for being an electrical issue .. I think, maybe ... LOL Last night before putting her to bed, I put some SeaFoam in the tank and fresh premium gas.

I'm thinking today I'll order new fuel pump and relay.

Note I have had it cut off while idling too .... then start right back up ....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I wonder if I am actually chasing a fuel and an electrical problem. Last night while working with it, there were problems a few times. One time key off\on it continued to run. Another time it was about 10 minutes before it would restart. So I have a fuel pump on the way ... now thinking I should go ahead and get that relay.

I welcome any thoughts ....

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
In the first post you mention that it continues to run with key in off position...and that you changed the key switch...did that condition cease , or continue after new switch?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In the first post you mention that it continues to run with key in off position...and that you changed the key switch...did that condition cease , or continue after new switch?
No what is happening when it starts to die I can turn the key to the off position and then back to the run position and it will continue to run. It may run for 30 seconds or run for several minutes without an issue after that off\on of key cycle. It does not run in the off position.

BTW, new switch did not make a difference ...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sounds like the coil is going bad. It gets hot and stops making spark. Next time it dies and wont start immediately, pull a wire off one of the plugs, put a screwdriver in the wire and hold the metal part of the screwdriver against metal. HOLD THE SCREWDRIVER BY THE HANDLE WHILE DOING THIS. see if there is spark.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like the coil is going bad. It gets hot and stops making spark. Next time it dies and wont start immediately, pull a wire off one of the plugs, put a screwdriver in the wire and hold the metal part of the screwdriver against metal. HOLD THE SCREWDRIVER BY THE HANDLE WHILE DOING THIS. see if there is spark.

I believe it is my Control Module .. see my other post .. Never mind I b ought it here

Well all here is an update with what has been replaced:

• Ignition Switch
  • Fuel filter
  • Fuel lines from shut off valve to carb
  • Fuel pump
  • Spark plugs & wires
  • Relay from batter to Aux
After putting on new relay it started up multiple times while doing some checks. Note the BATT terminal on relay had corrosion on it so I thought maybe I found the problem. I let it warm up and took off choke. Ran fine. Then I went out into street to push some snow mounds and it died on me while pushing snow. This time it did not start for about 8 minutes.

Well I brought it up back by the house and ran it at HIGH and IDLE At both speeds it tried to die and again just turning off the switch and back on kept it running. On time I did not get to it in time and it died. I cycled the switch to off and then it started right up.

Today I learn while going thr the manual it has control module and the light-bulb went off. I think I know where the problem is. If it was a coil and getting hot, turning off\on would not fix that, but the relay in the control module would be fixed by cycling power. It is reminding me of an intermittent problem I had with a ICM (ignition control module) & ECM (Electronic CM) back many years ago ....

So your thoughts?

Kevin

·
Three of my friends
9,135 Posts
You can take the time delay top off and see if it’s dirty inside but the main purpose of it is to keep the tractor running if you bounce off the seat on rough ground.
It really sounds like the circuit breaker ( when you turn the switch off it resets) but didn’t you change that,just for checking,remove the circuit breaker and bolt the two ends together and run it,if there’s something causing it to trip it must be a bare wire somewhere.
To keep from causing mor problems you might just put a fuse in the place of the CB

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
You can take the time delay top off and see if it’s dirty inside but the main purpose of it is to keep the tractor running if you bounce off the seat on rough ground.
It really sounds like the circuit breaker ( when you turn the switch off it resets) but didn’t you change that,just for checking,remove the circuit breaker and bolt the two ends together and run it,if there’s something causing it to trip it must be a bare wire somewhere.
To keep from causing mor problems you might just put a fuse in the place of the CB
Is this what you are referring to as the "Circuit Breaker"? If so I replaced that a few weeks back and it made no difference.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts