1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
30,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: 318 starting problem electrical.

Pulling the engine on a 318:

1. Relax it's easy to do!
2. Pull the grill out and remove the 4 bolts on the grill/hood support and take it off.
3. Disconnect the 3 wire connector for the Voltage regulator, disconnect the plug to the front PTO, disconnect the plug for headlights. Remove the negative ground cable from the engine block and go to the front of the tractor and remove the positive wire from the starter (that one can be a bit tricky).
4. Close your fuel shutoff valve and then release line at the fuel pump coming from the valve.
5. Release the throttle cable clamp, then the choke clamp on the carberator (be careful of those darn little clamps if they get away from you they're hard to find).
6. Get a decent size rag (for padding) and then go under the tractor and remove the belly screen. Look at where the back of the driveshaft connects to the charge pump and then pad your hydraulic lines so when that falls it doesn't hurt them. There are 4 engine bolts two under the tractor just behind the axle and then two near the front of the engine pan, take them out. OK, there should be two steel points on the enginne you can put a hook into. I use a come-along and two ratchet straps to pull the engine, I put the come along over a rafter and drop the end down and then put the ratchet straps from those eyelets to the hook on the come-along and make sure it's all pretty even so it lifts straight up. Lift it just a bit and then pull the engine forward till the drive shaft falls off the charge pump and on the rag. Now you can either take the drive shaft off here or pull the engine with it on (I wouldn't recommend this for your first time though) if you leave it on you will need to be able to jack the engine up and tilt it simultaneously, if you have some help this make the process easier.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.