My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,077 Posts
Frank, nice job on that driveshaft and miscellaneous other repairs to get ready for the winter...by the hair on your chinny chin chin!! You really documented your process well and I'm sure this thread will become a must have for anyone wanting to do the same! Would you mind if I make it a sticky in the JD L&G tractor forum?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #62

Thanks to Biker 3777 for the two filter idea. Extra insurance and they are $5 or so bucks.

Last thing I want to say is the pan seat support is lousy since it leads to cracks at the bolt holes. The previous owner was a giant man! Also, I haven't driven it yet other than starting it so can't say how the tight shaft has improved the vibration which led to this job!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Frank, nice job on that driveshaft and miscellaneous other repairs to get ready for the winter...by the hair on your chinny chin chin!! You really documented your process well and I'm sure this thread will become a must have for anyone wanting to do the same! Would you mind if I make it a sticky in the JD L&G tractor forum?
Thanks, its totally cool to sticky it. This forum has helped me from beginning to end! And gave me the confidence to dig into these necessary repairs!

·
Three of my friends
8,883 Posts
Great work and for being new at this it looks awsome,question I might have is the nub on the pump shaft,I looks like it might belong in that slot in the pump,I’ve never been into that area so I don’t know for sure.

i went looking for information on the pump an found this,from watching this video,I do think that nub you see is what’s left of a pin that fits in that slot.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Great work and for being new at this it looks awsome,question I might have is the nub on the pump shaft,I looks like it might belong in that slot in the pump,I’ve never been into that area so I don’t know for sure.

i went looking for information on the pump an found this,from watching this video,I do think that nub you see is what’s left of a pin that fits in that slot.
I thought that it might be a piece of that pin somehow welded to the shaft because of heat/friction. The pump small sprocket doesn't come off so something is stuck/busted but since it was still working I left it be. I think one day the trans will need an overhaul given the condition of the shaft. I also couldn't spend any more time or $ at the moment.

By the way -used the tractor yesterday for the first time since and the good news is the reversing vibration is gone and nothing vibrates that isn't from the front end when using the blower. The blower is a bit quieter since regreasing the gearbox with cornhead and tightening the idler pulley. Seems to throw better except when the wind is not in my favor. Lastly, the reserve tank switch is now working. Not sure what changed there except completely new hoses!

·
Three of my friends
8,883 Posts
Good news that everything works good,the 318 was my favorite,I like the 420 but there were places it too big to access,I really like my 332 but diesels sometime are finikey but it comes with age,don’t ask me how I know???

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I watched this MMMRBeef video a couple of times before getting into this project!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ok, began this project in earnest today after viewing several threads and mmmrbeef's videos (which are very helpful). Took the pan off -easy enough, the battery out, the first bolt on the driveshaft-engine universal yoke which was remarkably not tight. Viewed some other things once taking things apart that maybe should be dealt with...

Seems the pan has cracked under so much flexing at the seat. Has anyone ever welded some additional support under the pan?

View attachment 2441865

Should probably replace the gas lines up to the split at the reserve tank switch. What is the deal with that switch anyway -never been able to get it to start me up when out of gas.
View attachment 2441866

I get what these two buttons on top of the transmission charge pump are for (to allow you to roll the tractor while off), but does anybody know how it works?

View attachment 2441867

So here is where I will be working. 99% sure my seal is leaking here -it only happens in winter, when parked in the cold garage. When I bring it into the workshop it stops dripping after a day or so.

View attachment 2441868

And, here is the other reason this is coming apart -the wobbly yoke at the spline shaft. Seems significant and the machine does shutter when reversing, certain rpms, or using certain attachments. The spline shaft also moves, although quite a bit less, so I believe that indicates I should replace the bearing as well as the O-ring and Seal.

What program are you using to mark up and comment on you photos?? I used "paint" in the past before, Window10 in one of the many upgrades, it was degraded to to the point of being useless.
Thanks

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
What program are you using to mark up and comment on you photos?? I used "paint" in the past before, Window10 in one of the many upgrades, it was degraded to to the point of being useless.
Thanks
I use several different programs depending on time or where I am. I use the easy Preview app on Mac OS, but I think Adobe Acrobat works the same. Sometimes I use Photoshop for a little better shadow lightening. If its on my phone i can use the basic photos app. If you are running Android or Ios you can use Snapseed which is free and is super easy to use on the phone. Google bought it a few years ago and it is essentially still the same but now free.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,075 Posts
Has anyone ever welded some additional support under the pan?
I've had cracks in the steel bodys of older cub cadets and being fearful of blowing through that thin steel, I would braze them back together and build up the brass on it. if it was really bad, I'd braze a thicker piece of supporting steel to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll poke around the parts for numbers
I have taken lots of bearings and seals from all types of stuff that I have worked on to a place in town that sales nothing but that type of stuff so far they have been able to match up whatever I have walked in the door with a far superior part at at much cheaper price than going to the dealer. It has not mattered what I was working on mower tractor motorcycles big trucks they have had better quality than the dealer. If you check around you probably have someplace in your area that can do the same.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Parts collector
3,491 Posts
Great write up!
Now I'm headed out to pull the pickup tube out of my 332 to figure out why it's not getting fuel.

·
Parts collector
3,491 Posts
61 - 78 of 78 Posts