My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have a problem with my mower deck. I have read over numerous post on how to properly level the mower deck on a 318. I followed them all and got the deck nice and level for mowing during the summer. I even got a leveling gauge from Deere.

The problem I have now is that when the deck is lowered, the left side guide wheel is touching the ground and the right side is about a half inch off the ground. This is measured on a nice flat garage floor. I let the wife use the tractor to drive around the yard following our daughter on my other smaller deere. She drove the tractor around with the deck up and I think she might have bumped something out of place by driving too fast and riding over an exposed tree root. The problem is I can't seem to find out what might have changed. I have included pictures to help diagnose the problem.

Just to verify, all tires are properly inflated. The mule drive lengths are adjusted the same and the adjuster on the right side of the deck is nice and tight.

Any thoughts?

Bryan

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? I really need to get this fixed for this weekend. Got massive leaf duty this weekend. Thanks in advance.

Bryan

·
Super Moderator
33,720 Posts
If your mowing is level from side to side I wouldn't worry about the deck wheels being off. They should be off the ground when mowing anyways. I had the same thing with my 46 inch deck on the 212 and could never get the wheels to be at the same height and still have it mow level.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See the deck is not level from side to side which I noticed with the deck wheel on the left hitting the ground when I put the deck down. Both wheels were set on the same adjustment hole and the deck was level all summer. I am trying to figure out what changed when driving the tractor around the yard with the deck up. I just can't see anything that is bent or out of place. The adjuster on the right side can be adjusted but it might run out of adjustment before it comes out of the U-shaped bracket. The deck is not level either in the up or down position.

This is a frustrating problem that seems like a silly problem.

Bryan

·
10K and Climbin!
12,355 Posts
So it is that far out of level that you cannot adjust the hanger on the left side enough to compensate?

How's your tire pressures? Check that first..

If so the deck is tweaked or a hanger is bent or breaking off the deck. Inspect them closely and look for surface straightness.

Another thing you can do is tighten up the right front hanger to get a little more height that way.

Just a few ideas for you! :trink40:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts