My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very old 318 and snow thrower attachment . The snowthrower is a single stage and is only good for light fluffy snow - which it doesn't throw very far. HAve had to buy a regular snowblower to get things done on my drive and walks here in Maine. I think this snowthrower is a lost cause unless someone has any solutions. I've tightened the drive chain a bit as it was very loose. Also greased the chute. But no change in "throwing power" and it easily clogs. Very rusted as well. I inherited this with the house 20 years ago and back then it was in rough shape. I have wheel weights on the tractor but noticing it could use more weight in the rear as the ( chained) wheels spin on a slight snowy incline of my driveway( any recommendations on proper weights?)
Is there any 2 stage thrower that isn't too heavy for this tractor?

·
Super Moderator
27,511 Posts
Gdunn welcome to MTF! First the model 49 snowblower you have isn't a lost cause. We have a pretty simple modification called a "flapper" mod that should dramatically improve your snowblower performance, and keep it from clogging with wet slushy snow. Here is a link to that modification: Snowblower flapper mod

This site has a lot of information on it and great members to help people in need, enjoy the site!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Gdunn, First, "Welcome to the Forum!" Lot's of great guys here with lots more info! Next, your 49 thrower is NOT a lost cause, simply needs some TLC.

If you used plain lubricating grease, wipe it out! That will make snow stick, not slide easier. Chain should be 1/2"- 5/8" slack. Unless you've got a heated work area, this will be difficult, but get as much loose rust of as you can and paint, especially the flat paddle section between the auger screws and the inside of the chute. Last, as far as thrower operation, warm tractor, engage PTO, and go wide open throttle. Watch the snow coming out of your chute...you want a full stream. Ground speed will also be your best friend...too fast and you'll clog!

Tire spin, NO cheap solution! Tires can be filled with beet juice or windshield washer fluid. Weights can be added to your tires, at about $100 per weight. A weight bracket can be added to the rear, another $100-$150, and 6 or 8 suitcase weights, about $50 each. Also, make sure your thrower is completely down on the ground. Running raised takes weight & traction off of the rear wheels.

I ran a 49 on my 314...4hp less than your 318... in CT for 30+ years, and this was factory stock as it came on a '70 140.. Yeh, 4 foot drifts took a little work to clear, but anything under 14"...the height of the housing...was a piece of cake. Bob

·
Super Moderator
27,511 Posts
JD made a 47" 2 stage snowblower for these models, but you will really need to add weight to the back to handle it.

Various versions of this were made here is the JD Parts site for the snowblower, they are very large and pretty heavy.

·
3,349 Posts
Hi Gdunn and welcome to MTF...you only posted 3 hours ago and got some great responses...just shows you what a good group you joined

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So in relation to this mod.-- one of my paddles is bent and a bit cracked at the corner . (The deflector hanging above - rusted off and I ran over it!) Any ideas on how to "bend it back? It's a pretty solid piece of metal.

·
Super Moderator
27,511 Posts
Hard to do with the auger on the machine, try putting heavy piece of steel behind the paddle (and it should be very thick) and use 2 lb hammer to try to hammer back in place. Likely will take a lot of beating. You will probably need to block the auger so it doesn't spin though, use a 1x4 and wedge it. If you know someone with a oxy/acetylene torch heating it would be best!

·
Parts collector
3,133 Posts
Welcome to the site. I have the same blower and have used it for the last 6 years here in PA where we get "slush" but it has worked well for me. If you do the above "flapper" Mod it will help a lot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses. I have a couple of followups. WHat kind of rubber material am I looking for? ( someone mentioned going to Tractor Supply but I had no luck - Home Depot??)
And someone else recommended wiping out the regular grease I put on the chute. Is there a particular kind of grease that DOES work here?? Thanks for the help. Waiting for it to get past 15 degrees here to be able to work on this!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Tractor Supply should have the rubber. Ask for horse mat, cow mat, or stall mat. Cooking spray...use generic/store brand of Pam.. is pretty good for chute and paddle. Others swear by Fluid Film. Bob

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Can experience clogging with heavy wet slushy snow. Some have done the "flapper mod" and some also installed a 36 or even a 32 tooth chain drive sprocket to speed up the auger. I did neither to my Model 49 used with a 318.
Shied away from using a cooking spray on the chute account the sticky mess. Key for me was getting the inside of the chute, the spout, and the auger paddles, smooth, clean, rust-free - then painting these pieces - then keeping 'em painted and waxed. No complaints with performance. Cooking spray, fluid film/graphite lubricant may or may not help you for now.

Attachments

·
Professional Homeowner
7,184 Posts
It’s counterintuitive, but often times going too slow through heavy snow will make it clog. Also a warm blower will clog in any condition- wet and heavy or dry and fluffy. If the machine is stored in a warm garage, drive it outside and let it cool off before using it. The snow will be melted by the warm metal at first, but quickly re-freeze and ice it all up within seconds.

For these smaller machines, I prefer a single stage unit over a 2 stage... mostly for the lower costs and simple nature of the single stage. I’m a Toro/Wheelhorse guy, but the same principles of design and operation run true for all brands. The single stagers do take a little more practice and finesse to make perform 100%. Your hydrostatic transmission will help make your single stage more usable. Constant ground speed adjustment may be necessary.

One last helpful hint: point the discharge straight ahead whenever possible when using a single stage. Snow will go farther when thrown straight ahead with a single stage. (I do realize most of the time it needs to go left or right). I often go straight ahead with the heavy stuff at the end of the driveway left by the plow truck. Even with a 2 stage, the snow often flies better going left or right, depending on rotation direction of the impeller.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It’s counterintuitive, but often times going too slow through heavy snow will make it clog. Also a warm blower will clog in any condition- wet and heavy or dry and fluffy. If the machine is stored in a warm garage, drive it outside and let it cool off before using it. The snow will be melted by the warm metal at first, but quickly re-freeze and ice it all up within seconds.

For these smaller machines, I prefer a single stage unit over a 2 stage... mostly for the lower costs and simple nature of the single stage. I’m a Toro/Wheelhorse guy, but the same principles of design and operation run true for all brands. The single stagers do take a little more practice and finesse to make perform 100%. Your hydrostatic transmission will help make your single stage more usable. Constant ground speed adjustment may be necessary.

One last helpful hint: point the discharge straight ahead whenever possible when using a single stage. Snow will go farther when thrown straight ahead with a single stage. (I do realize most of the time it needs to go left or right). I often go straight ahead with the heavy stuff at the end of the driveway left by the plow truck. Even with a 2 stage, the snow often flies better going left or right, depending on rotation direction of the impeller.
SUCCESS! It finally snowed last night - end of March in Maine -so very heavy wet 6" of stuff. No clogs at all and cleared out everything ! One add on to all the suggestions was that the heavy rust in the chute looks to be permanent. After light surface sanding I applied Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer. Then sprayed on a few layers of Rustoleum silver glossy paint which dried to very slippery surface. Also took your advice to go slower i.e. engine speed wise so as not to try and force the heavy wet stuff. Slow and steady worked . THanks for all the suggestions. I can't believe this thing works again after all these years. THanks again!
So I managed to find a few warmer days last month to do "paddle mod" . This is an old rusty blower and could only manage some light sanding of the surface.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts