My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Read Only
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a JD 318 with 44 front loader and I am looking for a company that can check out the hydraulic system and maybe rebuild the pump on the loader. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd think any equipment rental place could either help you or point you to the local repair shop they might use for such things.

·
21,505 Posts
What makes you think that the pump needs a rebuild?

·
21,505 Posts
While the pump may be responsible if it's badly worn, the more likely candidate is the relief valve. Installing a 2000 psi pressure gauge will help with the diagnosis.

Is this a recent issue, or was it like that since day one of your ownership?

·
Read Only
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its been back and forth, we cut down a large pine and it picked up all the pieces fine but then i go and use it to move a 200 pound deer stand it struggles past 2 ft

·
21,505 Posts
I assume that you are using an auxiliary, belt driven hydraulic pump for the loader. These are suggestions for erratic performance that I have encountered.

- Loose drive belt.

- Failing key in the pump shaft.

Any other part of the pump drive system is also on the list of potential suspects.

The relief valve is a simple spring loaded device for regulating pressure. It consists of two moving parts, the poppet (under which dirt or debris may collect and cause erratic function), and the spring (which has been known to break usually rendering the device pretty much useless). An inspection and cleaning are recommended to ensure proper function. You will need the pressure gauge in order to reset the relief valve adjustment after re-assembly.

The cost for a new pump is approximately $100. The cost for a pressure gauge, fittings to connect it to the system, and replacement O-rings and/or shaft keys may run as much as $30 total.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts