My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have picked up a 1978 316 in pretty nice shape...for free! It started up and ran but really rough. Rebuilt and cleaned the carb and it runs amazing now. Also this package deal included a JD wagon, mower deck and and snowblower attachment, all for free!! So my question here is that the snowblower is attached to the front, hydraulics are all hooked up, but I am confused on the connection of the pto belt/pulleys. Can anyone help me out with this, or better yet post pictures of the correct orientation including the belt and pulleys for the snowblower attachment?? Thanks!

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,512 Posts
What model blower do you have? It most likely is a 49, but maybe post some pictures of what you currently hooked up and we can better help.

·
Super Moderator
38,062 Posts
You should have a model 49 snowblower, the routing of the belts is pretty simple and I suspect that you are missing how to tension the tension pulley.

Here are some shots of it with belt in red and tension lever with a star on it:

Loose position:

Tight position, tension lever down (snaps over hard watch fingers!):

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
WOW !!! GREAT find. If you have a model 49 thrower, belt comes straight down from pto pulley to drive pulley on 49. Post thrower ID number so we know for sure what you have. Bob

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Looking at Pa's post, idler (small) pulley slides back & forth, front to rear. Thrower is on, so thinking pulley is in rear position. Grab arm and slide fwd until all 3 pulleys line up. Install belt, apply tension, and...done! Bob

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys are great thanks so much for the help, understand completely now. This place is so helpful, I appreciate everyone's time they took to help!

·
Super Moderator
38,062 Posts
You guys are great thanks so much for the help, understand completely now. This place is so helpful, I appreciate everyone's time they took to help!
Glad to help, can't have the white stuff getting the upper hand! :)

·
Super Moderator
38,062 Posts
Wow, that really is the best deal I've seen all year! Cart looks in pretty good shape and snow looks barely used. Check to see if that motor says KT Series II on it, if so then it is pressure lubricated, if not it'll be the Series I and not pressure lubricated, so just don't spent a lot of time on running on hillsides as they will oil starve.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,512 Posts
Great find! Hope it serves you well.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
PA, That's a 316 with an Onan, not a 317 with a Series I or II Bob

·
Super Moderator
38,062 Posts
OK, not sure why I did that, must've been thinking about another thread at the time.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
He-he, Yup, done my self MANY times! Bob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts