My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My JD 314 mowing tractor will shut off mid mow. It will run for about 10-15 minutes and just shut off. It will start right back up and run again, but continues to only run for a short time. It only needed a jump one time after it had sat for a long period of time. I got a new battery about 4 months ago so I thought it would still be good. Thoughts?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Whenever you install a new battery, it should be charged fully before installing it. Most places say their batteries are charged, when in fact, that was done before it left the factory and not immediately before you bought it. The guy's who sell batteries and say to just go ahead and use it have nothing to lose, but not charging it can reduce its life 10 to 20%. If you think I'm wrong, go read some of the stuff about lead acid batteries on the batteryuniversity.com website. This guy literally wrote the book on batteries.

That said, your problem does not sound like a battery issue. Possibly a bad interlock switch, poor contact or bad ground. I'd start by bypassing the interlock (such as seat pressure switch, etc.) and seeing if that allows the engine to run longer. You could also have a fuel issue, ranging from a clogged vent on the tank to clogged filters, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whenever you install a new battery, it should be charged fully before installing it. Most places say their batteries are charged, when in fact, that was done before it left the factory and not immediately before you bought it. The guy's who sell batteries and say to just go ahead and use it have nothing to lose, but not charging it can reduce its life 10 to 20%. If you think I'm wrong, go read some of the stuff about lead acid batteries on the batteryuniversity.com website. This guy literally wrote the book on batteries.

That said, your problem does not sound like a battery issue. Possibly a bad interlock switch, poor contact or bad ground. I'd start by bypassing the interlock (such as seat pressure switch, etc.) and seeing if that allows the engine to run longer. You could also have a fuel issue, ranging from a clogged vent on the tank to clogged filters, etc.
Thanks! I will check out those issues

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had it happen where a bug got in the vent hole on the fuel tank cap.
Cleaned it out solved that problem. Also run the fuel line. Had one of those that separated internally and would collapse

RoadrunnerII

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,537 Posts
Try running it with the fuel tank cap off..if it works correctly the cap vent is plugged..if not it could be the coil overheating

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Similar syptoms, otherwise just a guess here: I had a Kohler push mower that behaved the same way. Only one season on it, and I'd start it up, ran just fine, then after about 5 to 10 minutes, it would start to cut off, then just shut off. Sometimes it would restart then repeat the same thing. Other times, it would have to sit for awhile, but the same thing would repeat. Turns out there was something like "thick water" in the very bottom of the carb bowl that would get sucked up and stall the engine after a time. It was clear but heavier than just water, and once cleaned out, that mower ran perfectly, and still does 4 years later. Might be work looking at this and the fuel system before throwing parts at it.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
1 - 6 of 6 Posts