My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My John Deere 300, it has the usual K341 single cylinder engine in it.

According to the manual, it says 1 quart of oil at its regular 20-25 hour oil change.

This is the 3rd time I have changed my oil since I have had my tractor, 1 quart fills it up to the "add" line. Its always 1/2 quart short of being full. I have always filled it up to put it to the top of the full line, and started it up and let it run for a while and checked it again, and its still right there at the full line.

What should I believe...the manual, or the dip stick?

I have always trusted in what the dip stick tells me.

Oil selection...I have always used off the shelf 10w-30 oil. Same oil I put in my car. The dealer said its fine, and even suggested that over whats on the shelf from him because of the "inflated cost for pretty much the same thing". Is that ok to do?

I use the JD Turf Guard oil in my 14SB push mower, because its a pressurized oil lube engine, and dont want to take any chances. At least on that engine, I can, and did add a bolt on oil filter.

:thanku:

~F~

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Hmmmmm.. According to my manual for the 1978 JD300.....Capacities are as follows....
Gas Tank............4-1/2 U.S.gal.
Crankcase...........3- U.S. pints
Transmission........5- U.S. qt.

Now I could be wrong but doesn't 3 pints= 1 1/2 qts???

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.

1.5 quarts for the engine it is.

Transmission/hydraulics did that when I first got it, 5 quarts is what I added. Check that last night, and its still fine and full. Manual says to change the filter only at 100 hours. Guess that's next year some time for me.

~F~

1 - 4 of 4 Posts