My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just purchased a 300 and am in the process of changing the trans fluid and filter. The fill tube is at the right rear of the machine. Below are some pictures of the dipstick. There are no markings on the dipstick just some remnants of white paint at the bottom. Where would the proper level be on this dipstick? Also, does anyone sell a replacement for this dipstick. This one is missing the very top and it would be nice to have one that I can read.
View attachment 2449132

View attachment 2449133
View attachment 2449134
Yes I agree with the rest of the guys on here my JD 332 is the same. Check the rear right side of tractor for a plastic see through vertical plastic tube. Yours like mine might be cover with oil and dirt and you won't notice it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes I agree with the rest of the guys on here my JD 332 is the same. Check the rear right side of tractor for a plastic see through vertical plastic tube. Yours like mine might be cover with oil and dirt and you won't notice it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
From your pictures, the dip stick would be necessary because the sight tube would be hidden. The dip stick should work just fine. My sight tube gets air locked at times.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,243 Posts
WOW! I learned something new today. I must have an early 316 that was late enough to get a site tube. I've owned mine for over 40 years (since new) and never saw or heard of a dip stick for the 300 series tractors.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks, does that “flat style” dipstick fit in the tube? I’m not by the machine right now bit it seems like it’s just big enough in diameter to fit the wire wound dipstick? Also, your invoice is showing part number M48278. The parts diagram I’m using has part number AM35864. I’m assuming that is the wire bound dipstick? The flat metal one you have pictured looks considerably shorter than the wire bound meaning the proper level would be up a ways on the wire bound ( well above the painted area on the end). I guess I’m just worried I’m going to put to little or too much trans fluid in and hurt something.
I just did a hydro fluid change on my 300. I put the specified 5 U.S. quarts in. The level barely showed on the blade style dipstick. I thought about what you said, thinking the blade style dipstick seemed shorter. So I made a longer one out of a couple of zap straps. I checked the fluid level and cut a small notch at the top of the fluid mark. As you can see from the pic, the middle of the safe mark does look about 3/4" shorter than the notch in the homemade dipstick.

Attachments

21 - 26 of 26 Posts