My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 300 and am in the process of changing the trans fluid and filter. The fill tube is at the right rear of the machine. Below are some pictures of the dipstick. There are no markings on the dipstick just some remnants of white paint at the bottom. Where would the proper level be on this dipstick? Also, does anyone sell a replacement for this dipstick. This one is missing the very top and it would be nice to have one that I can read.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I didn't know the 300 series even HAD a dipstick. Mine is missing if that's the case but, whatever. I just use the sight glass check the level. With the fluid warm and the engine idling, all hydraulic cylinders extended, I expect to see the level about halfway up the sight glass.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't know the 300 series even HAD a dipstick. Mine is missing if that's the case but, whatever. I just use the sight glass check the level. With the fluid warm and the engine idling, all hydraulic cylinders extended, I expect to see the level about halfway up the sight glass.
I didn't know the 300 had a sight glass? I guess I should look a little harder.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My 332 has a sight glass and no dipstick. I am not sure if your 300 is the same, but I'd imagine all the 300-series tractors are about the same.
The sight glass will be at the back of the tractor, on the right side near the transmission.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
You might try perusing the operator's manual (if JD has it online or if you have the paper version) and see what it says about it. It's also possible your tractor has some non-oem parts on it...

·
21,499 Posts
You can get away with having the small implement cylinders extended when checking the fluid level. Don't try that if more or larger cylinders, such as for a FEL, are involved. When the cylinders are retracted again, there can be as much as a quart of fluid that comes back to the reservoir making it over full.

The rods take up fluid space when the cylinders are retracted.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You have my curiosity (and I think others too). I have a 317, 318, and 430 - never seen (or noticed) a dipstick.

Where is that dipstick on the tractor? Can you post a pic?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Dixie, The 332 is an open frame tractor, like the later 316, 318, 322, etc. The 300 is a closed frame tractor like the 312, 314, EARLY 316, and 317.

Otter, Look at the rear of the tractor, left side, and you should see a slot...maybe 1-1/2" tall x 1/2" wide. In the center (left to right and near bottom) of the rear frame should be a hole, 1-1/2" ish, with a hex head plug in the center of the hole. Your fill pipe should attached to the right side of that plug and a clear(ish) plastic tube coming out on the left side. The tube should stick into the slot and then up to the hydro unit. There's also what looks like a fuel filter in the top of that tube with a vent hole. Verify the vent hole is clear. Take a look at what you've got and get back, Bob

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Is this particular thing (dipstick to check trans fluid level) akin to the older tractors like 120s & 140s?
If so, look at JDPC 1474 -- the axle housing illustration for part numbers that may still be replaceable.
Think on later units - transmission levels were checked via site tubes (engine, pump, etc. off).

From a 316 (later), 318 and 420 operators manual:

142072.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ll be able to get some pictures of the actual machine tomorrow. But I did find this parts diagram.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My 1975 300 had the same wire wound dipstick. Got this from JD. Used a machine screw and nut to fasten it to the plastic cap. Seems to work fine. My cap is missing the plastic cover as well. Can't help you with that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 1975 300 had the same wire wound dipstick. Got this from JD. Used a machine screw and nut to fasten it to the plastic cap. Seems to work fine. My cap is missing the plastic cover as well. Can't help you with that.
Thanks, does that “flat style” dipstick fit in the tube? I’m not by the machine right now bit it seems like it’s just big enough in diameter to fit the wire wound dipstick? Also, your invoice is showing part number M48278. The parts diagram I’m using has part number AM35864. I’m assuming that is the wire bound dipstick? The flat metal one you have pictured looks considerably shorter than the wire bound meaning the proper level would be up a ways on the wire bound ( well above the painted area on the end). I guess I’m just worried I’m going to put to little or too much trans fluid in and hurt something.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Otter, The diagram you showed is for a modification to the site gage when adding rear hydraulics. Look in same parts catalog, PC1474, for "Transmission Site Tube." Not sure if this falls into your serial number though. Bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Otter, The diagram you showed is for a modification to the site gage when adding rear hydraulics. Look in same parts catalog, PC1474, for "Transmission Site Tube." Not sure if this falls into your serial number though. Bob
Ok, thanks, that makes more sense. There are no rear hydraulics but someone must have modified things at one time. I will be around the machine later and can examine things more closely. Sounds like I just need to convert back to the original sight tube if I don't have rear hydraulics.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Not sure why the mod is necessary. I added rear hyd to my 317, same closed frame tractor, and everything was fine!

When you check out your tractor, take a close look at the hex plug in the center. One side will have your fill pipe, the other side should have a plastic tube. If tube is there, reach under and follow it with your hand, it may have just fallen out of the slot! There also should be a bracket that holds tube in place/slot, item 6 in catalog. Bob

·
Registered
190 Posts
Dixie, The 332 is an open frame tractor, like the later 316, 318, 322, etc. The 300 is a closed frame tractor like the 312, 314, EARLY 316, and 317.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize there was any difference between the 300 series tractors, transmission and hydraulic wise.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You can get away with having the small implement cylinders extended when checking the fluid level. Don't try that if more or larger cylinders, such as for a FEL, are involved. When the cylinders are retracted again, there can be as much as a quart of fluid that comes back to the reservoir making it over full.

Sorry, yes. I meant just the tractor cylinder for the 3ph/mower. Not sure why I said "all" when there is only one!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Wondering if your particular 300 had a transmission dipstick vs. a sight tube.
Somewhere, in an operators and/or technical manual, the proper way to check and the fluid capacities are shown.
When I look at PC 1474, axle housing illustration, I see these parts: M42634-Plug (filler cap), M48278-Dipstick, O-ring, screw and tube.
This assembled dipstick (matching part nos.) is on e-bay and could be what you might want:

s-l1600-1 dipstick.jpg
s-l1600-2 dipstick.jpg
s-l1600-3 dipstick.jpg

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Otterby,
My humble attempts at research came up with this -
Must be Two types of 300 transmission dipsticks. The blade type that looks simple to read and the kind you have pictured, which I guess came with 300s that used a tiller and rear pto. Later 300 models, starting at ser. no. 71161, came with a sight tube. Not uncommon for the very top of the cap, the piece with the letters on it, to be missing.
Three different operators manuals. OMM 49673 for nos. 030, 001 thru 055,000. OMM 80641 for nos. 055, 001 thru
070,000. OMM 81297 for nos. 070, 001 on up. Technical Manual is SM 2104.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Otterby,
My humble attempts at research came up with this -
Must be Two types of 300 transmission dipsticks. The blade type that looks simple to read and the kind you have pictured, which I guess came with 300s that used a tiller and rear pto. Later 300 models, starting at ser. no. 71161, came with a sight tube. Not uncommon for the very top of the cap, the piece with the letters on it, to be missing.
Three different operators manuals. OMM 49673 for nos. 030, 001 thru 055,000. OMM 80641 for nos. 055, 001 thru
070,000. OMM 81297 for nos. 070, 001 on up. Technical Manual is SM 2104.
That makes sense. Thanks! Here are a couple pictures of my setup.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts