My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 285 is sick! it started with missing at low idle, I adjusted the linkage per manuel worked for a while then it started again, I removed & cleaned carb worked for a while then started to run erratic again, I tried adjusting the carb but it will work for a while then shut off. I removed carb again soaked it sea foam adjusted the float put it together started it it will run for a while, if I remove the parking brake & try to move it shuts off? any ideas? could it be the fuel pump? I removed the gas line put it in a bottle & cranked engine & it pumps gas? I don't know what else to try other than having a dealer service it money is tight! This all started when I ran out of gas this year, I added premium gas then started it and then the missing at low idle and reving up & down govenor? could this have caused something? Thank you.

·
Registered
285 Posts
It sounds as if you are battling H2O,water may have been in your fuel tank,and when you ran the engine out of fuel it sucked up some water ,OR the fuel tank you store your gas in has water in it ,nonetheless,dump the fuel tank,dry it out ,blow out the fuel line,dump the carb bowl,and start with some new fresh fuel .....if the issues continues,you may have some dirt in the carb,that will require ,a good carb cleaner to clean versus seafoam...Goo d luck ,Jim

BTW,try a different spark plug(s) I have been fooled a few times,by a defective sparkplug,as it is the wekest link in the system...

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 285 did this to me as well. I thought for sure it was fuel related. But in the end, just like JimC says, a nw set of plugs cured the problem. Apparently some snow had gotten onto the ceramic when hot while snowblowing and cracked it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts