My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, This is my first actual question post, so I hope I'm in the right location. I am running an 89 John Deere 285 with what I believe to be a 46" deck. The blades were used but sharpened by the previous owner, and it cuts well, but the clippings are killing me.

At least for now, early spring to summer, trying to mow every 6 days on Ky fescue grass is resulting in about 2.5 to 3.5" trimmings which just get stuck in the lawn and re-churned each following mow, bogging the entire mower down in the process and making the yard look horrible. My deck is set about 3" from ground surface, for the semi thick and cushioned look I'm going for (to keep the kids knees in tact when running/playing).

Although i can sweep these trimmings with a sweeper, I'm loosing the effect of the clippings as fertilizer, and wondered what sort of blade I should be using, even with side discharge.

I keep hearing all this fuss on the "gator" blade design, but always thought mulching blades only worked if the deck was enclosed with no discharge. Would they even work effectively for me? I want a pretty, green yard and good mower operation.

Thanks for any info. This is my first mower, so I'm trying to learn all I can about it.

·
16,617 Posts
Good morning--Mr. Yardwork---and welcome to MTF!:MTF_wel2:

Let me see if I can shed some light..Not knowing about your specific model--but did JD or an aftermarket offer a 'mulch plug" for the opening on your deck?

Then get the correct Gator blades (Made by Oregan) for the job you want--I am sure they make them for your application. I , myself, bag my property 90% of ythe time, and I have been useing the gator 'hi-lift' blades for at least last three seasons, and am totally impressed.

Of couse--once installed, you will have to experiment with ground speed and direction of travel to find the best coverage for what you want to do.
Also, mulching is best done when grass is dry, and maybe do more frequently.

Good luck--and like I said--glad to have you here--

glenn

·
16,617 Posts
Mr. Yardwork-

-You have to know the exact deck of your mower, but I see someone just posted on here in the "For Sale" section a JD mulch kit (whatever it includes) for a 46C deck.

Maybe you'll can get together--

glenn

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Ill check that out. I know at the time the deck was new, there was a bagger for sure, but good luck finding one now at this point. This is an OE deck for this tractor I don't know what's changed since then. I am on somewhat of a budget so the sweeper was my avenue for overage collection, but there may be some affordable universal catchers out there, I'm just not familiar enough to say what works with what.

The overall expectation of a mulching blade on my mower, using the discharge and not plugging would be to maybe slightly reduce the output size in the wet season. I don't want to completely mulch with no discharge, the speed I would have to mow would defeat the purpose overall. My yard is very thick and grows high in just days in certain places.

So I'm more or less wanting to know what type of blade might semi-mulch clippings prior to side discharge. Or, if it will help at all with the outcome I had in mind.

I will measure the deck later today but I'm quite confident that it's a 46" with 3 blades.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a JD 265 with the same 46 inch deck as yours. I use gator blades year round. They do cut down on the size of the clippings comeing out. It also helps eliminate windrowing when the grass gets too far ahead. I get mine from Maple Grove Dist.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts