My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1989 Model 265
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 265 resto project is coming along, and although the motor runs fine once it's started, getting there is a bit of a chore. Here is the symptom:

Choke full, crank it , and the engine turns over a few times and then suddenly stops. It takes me three or four tries before it finally catches and then it runs great. This stopping is almost as if there is a timing issue or something; it suddenly just groans to a complete stop as if something is jamming it. It is impossible to get continuous cranking - I only get two or three turnovers before it jams. I turn the key again and get the same thing. Eventually, I guess there is enough fuel in the carb that she fires and off I go.

What is this issue?

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Pop the valve cover off and check your clearances I'm betting that is your issue. I don't know what they should be off the top of my head but I'm sure someone will chime in with the spec.

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
Pull the key switch lead at the solenoid and check the voltage with the key in start. If the ignition switch has developed high resistance it might be reducing current to the solenoid and disengaging the starter. This is a longshot and a common problem on the Kawasaki powered 100 series LTs. It does not usually manifest this way though - usually it begins as just a click when the solenoid does not engage.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I don't know if a valve clearance issue on a Kawasaki manifests itself the same as a Briggs but it sounds just like my Husqvarna at the beginning of this year. Got the valves in spec fixed it right up.

·
1989 Model 265
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: JD 265 Starting Problems (Q for k91)

The problem isn't electrical, so I am going to look into the valve clearance thing.

I am getting pretty familiar with the tractor (it was given to me for zilch) but am not too familiar with the engine yet (Kawasaki FC540D - 17hp)

k91: How do I "pop" the valve cover off?

Chris

·
Registered
378 Posts
If the valves clearance doesnt fix it,It could be the compression relief on the cam.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Its been a while since I've looked at a Kawi but its probably 4 10mm bolts on that front cover that says OHV on it. deeretek has probably done it more recently than me :fing32:

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,933 Posts
ChrisW, here's a link to the FC540v tech manual I was talking about for you.... Think I mighta got the engine wrong in my PM, Tractordata says its a FC540v... This may help with the teardown...

·
1989 Model 265
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aesome, littletractorguy!!!! bedtime reading for me.

I noticed in your Avatar there is a plow on your tractor. I also have one for my 265, but haven't had a chance to really look at it yet.....it's just sitting behind my shed. Can you comment on how it gets installed and also, is it always in a fixed position, (since I don't have hydraulics)?

chris

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,933 Posts
Here's a larger pic, that gives you some better detail:

Its a 3 position, manually adjustable blade, it pins onto the large black frame with I believe a 5/8 pin (I bought a hitch pin because mine was missing when I got it) and a 1/2 hitch pin to hold it in any of the positions...

The important bit for me to learn was that, while the frame hooks into the front mount bracket, what it USES to hook on to the front mount bracket are the pins on the ends of each of the side braces (which I don't have a good picture of, yet...). I initially just hooked the blade up to the front mounting bracket using a couple of clevis pins, but caught heck from a couple of other members on here because there ISNT enough structure behind that front bracket to support pushing snow with it and it WILL bend...

Now, I JUST went out and took a look in the online JD Parts Catalog, and it LOOKS like the 265 has a 48" blade that hooks up COMPLETELY differently than mine. What you should do for giggles is click on the link to the parts catalog I included up there, put "265" in the model number blank, then find the 265 Lawn and Garden Tractors entry. You can expand it out and select the Attachments section, find your blade size, and it will show you a diagram of all the parts you will need and will give you SOME idea of how to hook it up... Looks like there may have been two different runs of blade, based on lower and higher serial numbers they list, so you'll need to pop out and look at the serial number on the blade (it should be on a metal tag on the upper back left corner of the blade) to make sure you're looking at the right one...

The other really nice thing about the parts catalog is a lot of those bits you see listed in it are STILL AVAILABLE from JD... The catalog is an invaluable resource for finding out what is supposed to be there, how it hooks up, and whether you can get one that might be missing....

Hope this helps!

·
1989 Model 265
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Help????

Is the Pope Catholic??:fing32:

Amazing amount of info there..... looks like I have some reading to do before getting this blade on there.

Thanks so much!

Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts