My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all bought a 1988 265 yesterday, she's not mint, but decent and cared for.
Looking for all or any info on these units for good or bad or indifferent..lol
Actually a lot of negatives have been brought up on the Kawasaki engine, rod failure, ignition parts failure and running too hot with its hood design.
I hope I know what I've gotten myself into..
20210609_173604.jpg
20210609_173545.jpg
20210609_145918.jpg

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Well, my small engine shop says he has no trouble taking in an older JD with a Kawaski, on trade, up to about 1500 hours. My 265 has over 3000 hours on it. It's a 1990. It had between 900-1000 hours on it when I bought it in 2000. My X540 has over 1000 hours on it. I did have the electronic module go on the 265 about ten years ago. I replaced it with a $12, at the time, Nova II chip. Still running great. It's at my hunting camp in WV, where it mows a 7 acre field. I take good maintenance of my equipment, but I don't baby it. The poor 265 probably gets beat on worse of all my stuff. I've run it up on clumps of Wild Roses, till the front wheels were off the ground, and just let it grind them down as it settled. The year I got my second knee replaced, I didn't get up to mow at all and the field grew wild. I've reclaimed about half of it. The hay/weeds are over the hood. I have to make about a half of a pass to keep the deck from clogging, and it's as high as it will go. I wish mine looked as good as yours. My plan was to replace the single cylinder with a Twin V, and then tear it down, every nut and bolt, full resto mod. I even thought about a twin V air cooled diesel. But that dang 17HP single just won't die. The rears in them are as tough as nails. I'd like to make it a show queen to pull my JD colored trailer with my chainsaw collection on it, at the county fair.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I tried to start the 265 one morning and it started backfiring like a car engine that had jumped time. I called my friend that I bought the tractor from. He said it was the Electronic Module. He said the JD unit was pretty expensive. I asked if I could use the Nova II. I had a couple on my work bench. I use them to bypass the points on old saws. He said yes. The Nova only has a plus and minus wire. The JD had 3 wires, but two of them went to the same place. Called my friend back and he said just twist the two together and treat them as one. The module is screwed to the side of the engine block on the right side as you are sitting on it.

I've never heard all of the negative stuff. We have a guys week end on the farm, It's in July, and it's hot. It would take two days to do the field and range. I'd mow high and then remow at 3.5". Close to 8 hours a day. If they have overheating issues, I think that would kill them. Just make sure there is not a build up of crud behind any shields.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just cut grass in front end of property, about 1 acres.
265 cut great and ran flawlessly.
It's cool out today with wind, so easy on engine...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts