My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last fall I had a power steering hose rupture loosing all trans oil. Had it repaired and when returned couldn't see any oil in sight glass. Added oil till it overflowed out of fill hole. Still didn't see any oil in sight glass. What's going on. Don't want to ruin transmission.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
You have to be very careful adding hydraulic oil to these tractors as it can take a while for added oil to make its way down to the sight glass. Also, the nearly clear oil can be very difficult to see in the sight glass, especially if the level completely covers the sight glass. It can actually look like there is no oil when in fact the oil is completely covering the glass.

I strongly recommend adding the JD red dye to your hydraulic oil. It makes it MUCH easier to see in the sight glass. On my 2720, anytime I add hydraulic oil I wait at least an hour before checking the sight glass.

Below is what my sight glass looks like with the dye added.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The JD parts number is MT3668, you can get it from your dealer. It costs around $7 a bottle. I put the whole bottle in my 2720 which holds 5 gallons of fluid. Some folks have added a half a bottle and still got decent coloring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts