My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today I scared the **** out of my self. In a past post I mentioned I keep my tractor in 4 WD 95% of the time. I always cut my grass one way and I have tons of hills I'll post pictures. Today I decided to try it in 2 WD well as I was getting to the bottom of the hill I hit the brakes and the back tires locked up and I just kept going if it weren't for the heavy brush and trees I let get over grown(for this reason) I would have ended up going a good 30-40 feet down the mountain. I rarely have to use the breaks in 4WD the tractor slows enough when I let up off the peddle. But not in 2 wheel drive.
Now my question do the breaks work off the of the transmission or do they have breaks? In two wheel it seems only the back breaks work in 4 wheel they all work.
I really don't have a good picture to show but the further down you go the steeper the hill.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
the 2305 has internal wet brakes...meaning that inside is where the braking mechanism is. with that said, only the drive wheels will brake. if you are in 2-wheel drive only the rear tires will brake, and if in 4-wheel drive all four will brake. not a great setup at all, so for your case i would try to stay in 4-wheel drive on the hills when ever possible! can and has been a safety issue but theres no other way to resolve the issue. i have hills too, and i'm constatntly in and out of 4-wheel drive!!! what a pain in the ***!

·
Registered
973 Posts
No brakes do not work on front in either 2 or 4 wd.....only on the rear.
reason why it works in 4 wd is added weight on front of tractor. I mow the creek bank it has a 45 -55 deg slope if not a little more.. Just wondering were you in low or high range..That also makes a big difference if I need to use my brakes.. Going down beside my house about a 60 deg slope I have forgotten to put in 4wd and I have slid 40-50' before getting control of the tractor..Using the locking diff. helps to some degree if I think of it in time.
Either way you get the pucker factor real quick.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your right it does scare the heck out of you, :Stop: especially the first time after cutting the same lawn for four years now it just wasn't expected.
I am in low gear almost all the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts