My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older model JD 2240 tractor. My dad purchased it new from our local Farmers CO-OP where he worked. I think it was purchase in the 80's. Other than a bad battery it's never failed to start. A few months ago it began to "do nothing" when I turned the key to the start position. No noise, no cranking. If you turned the switch on and off several times it would eventually start cranking. The on/off trick worked for a while but eventually the number of cycles it took to get to the point where it would start cranking increased. Now it doesn't get to that point no matter how many times you turn the key on and off. I've cleaned all the connections on the batteries and the connection to the starter. Both batteries test at least 12.5 volts and all the lights work when turned on. I lightly tapped the starter to see if that would help. Nothing works. I know for a fact power is getting to the starter. Is there anything else I can try. I don't look forward to purchasing a new starter.
Thanks

·
All-around nice guy
1,313 Posts
Have you checked the Neutral Start Switch?

·
All-around nice guy
1,313 Posts
The diagram below may help you diagnose the problem.
Neutral switch is # 10.
Starter relay is # 14.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
At least two, maybe three possible things at play here. If repeatedly cycling the key finally got it going but now is worse could be the contacts in the key switch it self are worn out.

If the power gets thru the key switch ok (and assuming safety switches are ok) then you could have a tired relay/solenoid that is not passing the power along to the starter.

Thirdly could be the brushes in the starter itself are used up and need replaced.

The starter is the most expensive so rule it OK by taking a booster cable from the battery pos post to the terminal on the starter. If it cranks ok then the starter is ok and you have a problem with (thank goodness) the cheap stuff.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate everyone's help. All these sound like good possibilities. My plans are to start on it today. Thanks again and MTF really is the friendliest tractor forum and best place to get information.
Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone's help I narrowed it down to a bad solenoid. It's been several days since I first unfastened the wires from the solenoid. I don't want to make a costly mistake so if someone will verify the correct hook up of the 2 larger wires to the solenoid I would really appreciate it. If I remember correctly the largest wire which come from the two + terminals on the battery connects to the upper most post on the solenoid and the smaller of the larger wires goes to the lower post. Is that correct? Thank you all so very much.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
There should be three wires connected to the starter. The cable from the battery positive posts goes on the large top terminal. Another wire with a large eyelet, should be red, also goes on that same terminal. The wire with a small eyelet goes on the small terminal marked with an "S".

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Is there any way to bypass the key switch to see if everything else works?
Yes, there is. Run a jumper wire from the Battery Pos to the coil Pos and then use a booster cable from the Battery Pos, direct to the big terminal on the starter if your solenoid is not part of the starter. If it is attached, then boost to the solenoid large terminal. Don't leave the jumper on the coil when you are not cranking or running as it is the same as leaving the key on and will burn the points.

If you can see the back of the key switch you could also just jump the terminals there but they can sometimes be difficult to identify.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Sorry I should have asked if #30 is the coil?
Thanks
Sorry, my eyes not that good. The coil has one single sparkplug type wire coming out of it to the distributor. Coil also has 2 smaller wire terminals on it. One is marked + and the other is marked -. You need to put the ignition jumper wire from the Battery Pos to the Coil + connector. That bypasses the key switch. Again, only leave it connected when you are cranking or running.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Larry,the 2240 is a diesel. There is no ignition coil. There is no need for the ignition switch other than cranking to make the engine start. Just jumping the battery terminal on the switch to the start(S)terminal on switch should make the engine crank and start. This method also keeps the neutral safety switch in the circuit, but be sure transmission is in park or neutral for safety.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Larry,the 2240 is a diesel. There is no ignition coil. There is no need for the ignition switch other than cranking to make the engine start. Just jumping the battery terminal on the switch to the start(S)terminal on switch should make the engine crank and start. This method also keeps the neutral safety switch in the circuit, but be sure transmission is in park or neutral for safety.

Thanks jd110. Joke is on me.:sidelaugh Don't know all the JD model#s. Thought it was a gasser.

Must have driven poor Farmboy nuts looking for that *** coil.:fing20:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you checked the Neutral Start Switch?
You were exactly right. It's the Neutral start switch. I pulled the wiring harness off and one of the posts loose. When I wiggled it and tried to crank it it started. When I pulled the wiring off again the post broke off.

Now, do you have any idea where I can get one of these switches and would you consider purchasing a used one? I found a new one, in the original JD package on eB but it sold before I could bid. Everyone in my area wants $60.00 + for the switch.

Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts