My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,
I have a JD 2210 compact hydro static tractor and I cannot get the parking brake to release? I've had the tractor for 10yrs and never had this issue before.

I have the tractor parked in our back yard which has a gradual slope so a very slight hill. I've parked here many times and never had an issue, btw. Again, it is only a minor slope.

Anyhow, the plastic parking break lever is engaged and it can be easily move but it doesn't release when I push the brake. I can hold the lever down and push and stomp on the brake but the brake still won't release. I have a bucket on it so I used it to rock the tractor back and forth while attempting to release the brake. I have put it in gear and attempted to go forward or reverse while stomping on the brake, etc.

Nothing I have done has worked so any input would be appreciated.

God Bless,
Ralph

·
4,155 Posts
How long was it parked with the brake engaged?..You will have to get underneath and check the parking brake linkage and find where it is binding

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Ralph
What size(model) is your compact tractor??? Have you attempted relieving some of the pressure exerted on the tires by gently attempting to pull tractor UPHILL a small amount while attempting to shift trans out of park?

·
Super Moderator
28,824 Posts
What temperature was/is it. I had same thing happen on my GT one time and due to sudden temp change it actually froze in place. As soon as it warmed up then it broke free.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello guys,
To correct something, I have a JD 2210 compact tractor with a bucket and 62in belly mower similar to one pictured HERE. I've had it parked for about 1 1/2 months with brake engaged which has never been an issue before.

I've tried everything as noted to get it to release to no avail. I cannot tell anything about the linkages because they are all pretty much covered up. I may have to remove some plastic to see what is what?

Thanks,
Ralph

·
Registered
377 Posts
I ALSO have a 2210. I had this exact same thing happen to me last fall. I got mine released by running the tractor at low RPMs and simply doing what it sounds like you are already doing. Trying to move forward and backward and pulling on the release lever and depressing the brake and working it and working it for like an hour. And then out of nowhere, suddenly, is disengaged and I was free.

I remember freaking out at first but then calmed down and just sat there working it and working it. Pretend you're the drummer of AC/DC just stopping on stuff and rocking ever so slightly.

I never found what caused mine AND I've never set the parking brake again since that incident. And I do recall, I was also on a slight incline and it took like an hour of just jerking around to get it to release. Good luck.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Looking at the diagram, I now see I need to look at K and M on mine. I think my differential lock (E) is also difficult to engage or doesn't disengage. I know that my brake pedal (A) and the disengage orange lever (C) and the linkage that connects them B, D and J, is all fine.

I'll also be checking the pivot point H that seems that it does something with the differential itself (locking it or disengaging it)..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I GOT IT BOYS!

Thanks for all the input. I just concentrated on being patient like doogiegh suggested. So I just kept rocking it with the bucket as I did yesterday and at one point it pushed the entire tractor back about 2ft. albeit still locked. I then briefly tried it again and the brake then released. It was obviously in a real bind and/or had to loosen up some. I was being a little bit more aggressive with the bucket today though versus concentrating on the brake.

Man that was about to become a real headache. Y'all stay safe.

God Bless,
Ralph

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I can hold the lever down and push and stomp on the brake but the brake still won't release.
ummm... the procedure is backwards on my tractor. Press the brake pedal down all the way, and THEN press down on the parking brake lever to release it..... The brake lever has a latch that has a hard time releasing if under pressure of pushing down on it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ummm... the procedure is backwards on my tractor. Press the brake pedal down all the way, and THEN press down on the parking brake lever to release it..... The brake lever has a latch that has a hard time releasing if under pressure of pushing down on it.
Yes my parking brake works the same normally. It won't release though, so I have to hold it down while stomping/pushing on the brake. It would be fruitless to simply push on the brake without dissengaging the parking brake.

Something is wrong with the P brake because I tested it on level ground and it once again wouldn't release. I had to again use the bucket to rock the tractor back and forth before it finally released after about 5 minutes of this. So I won't be using the PB until the issue is figured out and resolved.

God Bless, Ralph

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello All,
I have a JD 2210 compact hydro static tractor and I cannot get the parking brake to release? I've had the tractor for 10yrs and never had this issue before.

I have the tractor parked in our back yard which has a gradual slope so a very slight hill. I've parked here many times and never had an issue, btw. Again, it is only a minor slope.

Anyhow, the plastic parking break lever is engaged and it can be easily move but it doesn't release when I push the brake. I can hold the lever down and push and stomp on the brake but the brake still won't release. I have a bucket on it so I used it to rock the tractor back and forth while attempting to release the brake. I have put it in gear and attempted to go forward or reverse while stomping on the brake, etc.

Nothing I have done has worked so any input would be appreciated.

God Bless,
Ralph
As I’ve just been working through my tractor, same model btw, if what Walley 2q suggests doesn’t work, it’s time to get dirty or cleaning if you follow your mechanical linkages there are a few things that can be done... first on the left side of the tractor looking from the left rear wheel inboard of the of the tire, between the frame and the transaxle body, it might be packed with a lot derbies from frozen mud ( depends on the temperature) to grass clippings, sticks, stones... and all sorts of stuff tossed in by the tires... literally compacted in some places that it seems like a jack hammer won’t release it from its grasp... I’ve got clay ground and in digging, fouled the whole area it froze up overnight and then I was in the same spot you are... after slow diligent digging into the mess with a few screw drivers I did free it up. When it was warm with the Engine and transaxle heated up it had no problem, by cooling down overnight and freezing it was stuck solid. I try now to never let it get dirty like that without washing it out with a hose or the power washer ... once it’s done generously lube it with WD-40. And let it dry out before operating it again. There is a Cam of sorts that pushes a plunger in and it has linkage and adjusting barrels they are getting worn out by now too... I’m at 1350 hours 2005 model year. Good luck if you need more details and even pictures of it all torn down let me know I’ll have to search for them but happy to share them if it will help. If it had inner genders there would be less junk in there but you couldn’t wash it out if there were any...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As I’ve just been working through my tractor, same model btw, if what Walley 2q suggests doesn’t work, it’s time to get dirty or cleaning if you follow your mechanical linkages there are a few things that can be done... first on the left side of the tractor looking from the left rear wheel inboard of the of the tire, between the frame and the transaxle body, it might be packed with a lot derbies from frozen mud ( depends on the temperature) to grass clippings, sticks, stones... and all sorts of stuff tossed in by the tires... literally compacted in some places that it seems like a jack hammer won’t release it from its grasp... I’ve got clay ground and in digging, fouled the whole area it froze up overnight and then I was in the same spot you are... after slow diligent digging into the mess with a few screw drivers I did free it up. When it was warm with the Engine and transaxle heated up it had no problem, by cooling down overnight and freezing it was stuck solid. I try now to never let it get dirty like that without washing it out with a hose or the power washer ... once it’s done generously lube it with WD-40. And let it dry out before operating it again. There is a Cam of sorts that pushes a plunger in and it has linkage and adjusting barrels they are getting worn out by now too... I’m at 1350 hours 2005 model year. Good luck if you need more details and even pictures of it all torn down let me know I’ll have to search for them but happy to share them if it will help. If it had inner genders there would be less junk in there but you couldn’t wash it out if there were any...
Hey Airborne.....

I live in south Alabama and mostly use/used my tractor for mowing. The bucket is rarely used and when it is it is just light duty stuff such as messing with top soil or picking up limbs. It's a little dusty and could use a pressure washing but there is no mud to contend with. I have 700hrs on it.

Yes, please send me a few pics so I can see what you are referencing. Something needs to be oiled or I need a new spring or something. I don't know.

Thanks,
Ralph

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ralph, the pictures are loading...
There is a rather tricky part, that has a rather strong spring inside of it. It’s basically about a one inch tube stuck with a rod and adjustable sleeve on the threaded ends with a jam nut, it has a welded on rod on one side and a threaded cap with a rod through it. The 1” tube has a pair of flats to secure it while unscrewing the other end...
my 3rd hand has been missing all my life so I come up with ideas that save me and my fingers so far pretty good,,,
I dabble at Blacksmithing so I grabbed a 3/8” round stock about 30 inches long, on one end I made a small hook and put it in the Cleve’s end to pull down then I made a 90 degree bend to step down on, with the assembly in my Vice on my outdoor Vice post, this way I was able to unscrew the cap end with out shooting it across the road or up in the sky... the spring like I said has a bit of tension... mine was rusty and seized up and I was lucky enough not to shoot it out. A full cleaning, some oil, grease, and WD-40, or PB Blaster, carb and or Brake clean, a good wire wheel, outside and even a round rasp to help remove the rust and scale. Once it’s cleaned up you’ll want to paint it, you can rattle can paint it and get very satisfactory results taking care to use lite coats, and take your time between coats...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Congratulations on
I GOT IT BOYS!

Thanks for all the input. I just concentrated on being patient like doogiegh suggested. So I just kept rocking it with the bucket as I did yesterday and at one point it pushed the entire tractor back about 2ft. albeit still locked. I then briefly tried it again and the brake then released. It was obviously in a real bind and/or had to loosen up some. I was being a little bit more aggressive with the bucket today though versus concentrating on the brake.

Man that was about to become a real headache. Y'all stay safe.

God Bless,
Ralph
Congratulations that you got it!!!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Yes my parking brake works the same normally. It won't release though, so I have to hold it down while stomping/pushing on the brake.
Yea - there is something wrong there... doing it the way you describe will not work. Should not work - by design. Something may be wrong with the linkage - you may wish to check it. i It may be that the linkage is seized up or doesnt move freely due to either dust, dirt, or rust.

Normally, IF you push the parking brake lever down, and THEN press the brake pedal - Nothing will happen. You can stomp on the brake pedal all you want. Because you have to relieve the spring-loaded lever that latches the parking brake. You do that by pressing the brake pedal... not pushing on the park-brake-lever. Once the pressure is released, you can move the park-brake-lever freely. It's exactly the same as when you want to set the parking brake. You have to press the brake 1st... then pull up on the park-brake lever.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Congratulations on

Congratulations that you got it!!!
Awesome!!!
I got under the tractor again and took these 4 pictures. This is the assembly that was all rusty and has the compressed spring in it... to have to have your mower deck off to really work on it...
Remember that I had torn apart the whole back half and cleaned and painted almost everything... so that took me 2 years there a-bouts... some entire months I did not do anything to it... some time in the future the whole front end will get the same treatment...

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts