My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wuz Happenin. Update with the ol' G-ride. Performed a much needed tune up on the 86 JD 216. Ordered about everything from Kirk Engines including Pointslayer Breakerless Ignition System, Bosch Blue Coil, their super duper plug wire, breather and fuel pump covers, and tachometer. Got all of the ignition stuff installed, tach wired up, and bumped the timing back up to 17-18ish (it was sitting around 8 or so). (There's a thread on here where I go into a rambling explanation of why I believe Kohler goofed up and put a flywheel on my motor that shows 16° before TDC vs the usual "T" and "S" setup that shows 20°.) This coupled with the initial carb. rebuild and it's running quite nice now. Over the winter I'll replace the fuel lines, filter, and put an electric fuel pump on it and ditch the old leaky mechanical one.

I put the tach in the stock ammeter location b/c sometime in the past all wires heading to it were removed. Perhaps I'll get another one, but I'm not too worried about it.

Pics:

·
Super Moderator
35,925 Posts
Very nice! Glad to hear that you've slayed the ignition and timing issues! They can cause all kinds of grief! Never had any issues with the mechanical fuel pump so kind of amazed that you're seeing issues with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice! Glad to hear that you've slayed the ignition and timing issues! They can cause all kinds of grief! Never had any issues with the mechanical fuel pump so kind of amazed that you're seeing issues with it.
The mechanical pump still works fine once it's running, but it's leaking pretty good so I'm just going to update it over winter whilst the panels are off getting repainted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts