My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my eye on a pretty clean 212 that runs, mows and is mechanically sound. Needs some paint and some tlc but otherwise, as far as can be determined, is in good condition. Lady wants $500, I offered $300, so far we're not jiving. How about some opinions from you old school gear driven JD guys and gals. I'm still bringing my hydro 318 up from the ashes, so to speak, so I could use an operational tractor and I still like gear driven tractors so chime in. I like the old cast iron Kohlers, but I wonder, is the 12hp still good for plowing and such?

Pictures are worth a million words.

Thanks,

James

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Does it come with any attachments or weights or anything? Are you plowing snow or ground? Plenty of people still use 110s with 8HP Kohlers for either so I'm sure you'd be fine :goodl: and naturally :wwp:

·
Administrator
12,499 Posts
The 212 has plenty of power to do just about anything you want. Once the old Kohler K gets spun up it takes alot to bog it down and with the granny low creaper gear it will pull just about anything. I got my 214 from a local boatyard and he had a 4" channel steal hitch welded to the back of it towing 25 ft boats around the yard. :00000060: Good Luck...

·
Registered
501 Posts
I just bought one this spring with a tiller. I've had just a few hiccups, but it is worth that amount if its in that decent of shape. After replacing the belts and adjusting the variator, I've yet to have seen anything that has slowed it down.

·
JD318
990 Posts
212's are great for doing all the work you need. I've been looking for one myself...or 214 or 210 or......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts