My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,621 Posts
I'm always wary of someone selling a tractor that doesn't even know the size of the deck on it. That is a 47 inch deck not 48. That tells me that this person is either flipping the tractor or got it and doesn't know much about it. From the pictures it looks clean. That is about $150 more than I would pay for it!

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Yea thats to much, I could buy a JD 212 (Nothing wrong with) for $500

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Not running always is a concern. How would you know if it smokes or knocks or the trans is any good? You could always make a lowball offer :fing32:

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
Oh you're a million laughs Ha ha ha err wait a minute I sent that seller an e-mail.

Going to look at it after the holliday, I'm thinking the fiancée could use it.
I got a GT from the series.
They where good tractors.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
I'm always wary of someone selling a tractor that doesn't even know the size of the deck on it. That is a 47 inch deck not 48. That tells me that this person is either flipping the tractor or got it and doesn't know much about it. From the pictures it looks clean. That is about $150 more than I would pay for it!
the originals were 47. the replacement size was 48

·
Super Moderator
32,621 Posts
Not unless he changed the deck wheels too! 48 inch replacement had lower wider deck wheels. But either way without it running he is taking a lot of risk for that price. Way too much whether it has a 47 or 48 inch deck on it!

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got a GT from the series.
They where good tractors.
I would love to find a nice, clean, low hour GT like a 318 but not at the prices their asking for them, I think people that have them think they are made of gold.

Thats when I see new people here just joining to ask what they are worth I roll my eyes and click the mouse, if they want help to keep it running or restore it fine but don't pick our brains just to make a buck.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
also, i will say, im honestly not impressed with my grandpas 212. uses a lot of gas, and doesnt have as much power as my 8hp sears

·
Super Moderator
32,621 Posts
I had a 212 for about 10 years and it had good power, significantly more than the 110 I owned that had the 8hp in it. Weak point on mine was the electric lift so I replaced it with manual, and the belt to the transmission kept jumping off. That was before I joined this forum; wish I'd been a member then!

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
i think the variable speed takes away from the power to the wheels

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
Although it's not as pretty as the one your asking about I bought my 212 in decent running condition for $200 a few years ago. I would be very leery about buying a non running 200 series for that kind of money unless it came with some attachments which that one doesn't.Just to throw this out there I bought my 216 w/sleeve hitch non running for $75, they are out there just be patient.:fing32:

·
Registered
260 Posts
My 214 was my main mowing tractor for 11 years, before that I was strictly a Sears guy. I had an SS12 and a Suburban 12. I loved both tractors and wish I still had them but I can tell you plainly that the 200 series John Deere blow away the old Sears. Personally I think the 210 may be a bit under powered for the 47" deck, although plenty of guys have used them for years. The tractor does look clean, and since the engine is mounted in a rubber mounted cradle I bet the engine itself needs to be grounded, probably something small. I would offer $300 cash if you really want the tractor and go from there. My 2 cents Adam

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Although it's not as pretty as the one your asking about I bought my 212 in decent running condition for $200 a few years ago. I would be very leery about buying a non running 200 series for that kind of money unless it came with some attachments which that one doesn't.Just to throw this out there I bought my 216 w/sleeve hitch non running for $75, they are out there just be patient.:fing32:
I think you're right about it I really don't like to by any non running equipment but I thought maybe they had a common problem with the series i.e. the coil goes bad. and easy and cheap fix.

But you're right they are out there it just seems like they don't come around here much.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,295 Posts
$450 would be a good price for a running 210, but not running? That drops it to something in the $200-250 range. I have a 210 with the smaller 36" deck and it worked great. As to the vari-drive not delivering power to the wheels, I have seen many of these used to pull a moldboard plow, definitely a high load job and they do it well.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I think 450.00 is high. no doubt it will need $1-200 of minor things to get it straight and running. so 650.00 for a non running 210 is questionable. a 300 or 400 series would be a different story.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you folks for the input I think it's time to look for something else.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts